The Saturday 7

1. Lucy's new trick this week is turning on her radio. She has one in her bedroom on top of her little bookcase.  She figured out which one is the power button, so she stands up on her little toes and fumbles around until she finds it, waits a second to hear the music, then starts shakin' her little booty with the biggest grin on her face. She's so proud of herself.

2. After having my hours cut to about 18 a week all summer, we are in a terrible place financially. I'm pretty sure this is the worst off we've ever been.  I'm honestly to the point where I don't even care anymore. God will provide what we need, but we've been doing our best to cut back. This week I hardly bought any groceries. So we had some pretty nutritious and delicious meals: Kraft macaroni and cheese, chili dogs (twice!), etc. And I have done SO well with not spending money on extras . . . like my daily McDonald's Dr. Pepper. I honestly can't remember the last time I got one! Amazing!!! (I stocked up on Dr. Pepper 2 liters a few weeks ago when they went on sale for 88 cents, so I'm just making myself drink that.)

3. We finally went to Lake Michigan yesterday. I've wanted to go all summer, but it has never worked out. I figured yesterday was probably about our last chance, so we packed up and headed out! I forgot how long of a drive it was. It took forever. It was kind of a windy day so the waves were crashing . . . and Lucy was scared to death. She had her nervous face on the whole time we were walking toward the water, but I really thought she'd be ok. She liked Long Lake earlier this year. But when Justin stuck her toes in the water, she screamed like someone was stabbing her!! I brought some toys for her to play with in the sand, but she refused to get off the towel, so she just kind of sat on the edge gingerly patting the sand with a disgusted look on her face. Eventually, we got her in the water on my hip. She was ok as long as I was holding her tightly. We even get a couple grins out of her when I jumped the waves. Crazy nervous kid.

4. I read a book this week: Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross. I picked it up last Saturday during my solo trip to the library (which was fabulous).  It was pretty good. Nothing mind-blowing. But an easy, fun read. I got 3 other books, but now I'm not in the mood to read any of them. Haha. I do that all the time. Thank goodness the library is free!

5. I had a little meltdown on Tuesday. Justin has been coaching soccer for about 3 weeks now. He has practice every weekday from 5:30-7:00, so he goes straight there from work and doesn't get home 'til 7:30 or 8. And the "single-mom" thing is starting to get to me. I feel like I never get a break. And then I feel selfish and stupid for needing a break. I've wanted this all my life. I should be soaking up every minute and not complaining. But Lucy has been really clingy lately, and I can't ever do anything by myself or get anything done. I think it's the worst on days that I work. Because then I add 2 more kids to the mix. At least Lucy takes 2 naps, so when we're home I get 2 breaks. At work, I get about an hour and a half without someone pulling on me or calling my name or crying at my ankles while the 3 kids nap. And then I come home to an empty house, make dinner while Lucy cries at my feet (because I invariably can't cook fast enough for her), she refuses to eat what I make, then I have to entertain her for 2 hours during witching hour before bedtime. I try to keep her awake so Justin can see her for at least 10 minutes a day, but it's exhausting!!

Anyway, Tuesday night after she was in bed, I bawled to Justin about all of the above. Fortunately, there was no practice Thursday or Friday of this week, so I could have a break for a while! Unfortunately, there are still a good 2 months of soccer, so the end is not really in sight. I can do it!

6. My parents gave me their treadmill last week, but so far it has sat in the basement untouched. I really want to start Couch25K this week. I've been gaining weight like crazy since my body figured out I'm not breastfeeding anymore and I went back on the pill. Plus, I could really use the supposed endorphins exercise is supposed to provide! So ask me this time next week how I did!

7. My new obsession this week has been "Words with Friends" on facebook. I'm pretty much unbeatable, so this is my official challenge to all of you!

Comments

  1. I used to follow you on Xanga, and just realized you moved here! (ambs_LS).
    Good luck on the couch25k... I started it awhile back, but have a hard time figuring out the best time to get to the gym here in Hudsonville, and I am SO NOT a runner. I need to start doing it again! I really enjoyed the days I did it, plus I have an app on my phone that beeps when it is time to change pace, so that was nice.
    What beach did you go to on Lake MI? I have been trying to get back to the beach (only went once to Holland's Tunnel Park this year) and it always seems to be crazy busy!
    Have a good rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Pere Marquette. It's so much less busy than Grand Haven or the other beaches I've been to. And it has a nice pier and bathrooms and everything. I love it! You just stay on Laketon until you dead end into the lake!

    Glad to hear you like C25K. I'm DEFINITELY not a runner either, so I'm interested to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The past few days I've been struggling with our finances too. I finally broke down and talked to Rocky about it last night. We're having such a hard time finding a sitter for Abby while I work that we're wondering if it's even worth it... So I hear ya on that stuff, and will be praying things get easier for you!

    I also hear ya on the single mom thing. I think I've mentioned it before, but Rocky is a tennis coach so he gets home late every night too (not as late as Justin, closer to 6:30), and I know how those last few hours before bed can be...

    Hope this week goes better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sadie, I hear ya. I have been feeling really overwhelmed lately, and I do the whole guilt thing of "I've wanted this my whole life" and "I'm home full-time, how can this be hard?" and whatever. But you know what, it is what it is. If we're overwhelmed, there's probably a good reason.
    Jay's semester just started back up, so he doesn't get home until 7 three nights a week and the other 2 nights he works late and doesn't get home until 10 or 11. So the days are even longer now.
    I had a meltdown the other day as well, and we worked out a new schedule where Jay takes Brooklyn out or I go out for a few hours on Saturdays. It's a good time for them to spend together, and it gives me room to breathe. Because even a nap for her just doesn't always feel like a break, you know? You can't go somewhere by yourself while she's napping;)
    Anyway, it's been really good, and Jay's been stepping it up even more doing stuff around the house which is MUCH appreciated:)
    I always resisted doing this plan in the past because I thought "We should spend the entire weekend as a family!" but I've realized it's important for me to have some alone time too...very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ive never been to pere marquette, but it isn't that far away. I will def have to check it out next summer, or for a sunset night sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment