The "Saturday" 7

What a week.

1. The girls started school this week. Lucy started on Monday. She's been so excited and counting down the days. I love her small school where she knows everyone. She has the same class every year so there's no anxiety about making friends or who to play with at recess.
2nd Grade. Where has the time gone?



2. Lena only has school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so her first day was Tuesday. I was a little worried about how she'd do at drop off. She was excited but nervous leading up to the first day, and I wasn't sure if the anxiety would overtake her when it came down to me leaving her there. But she did great! She marched right in, sat down at her desk, and got to work. I remember leaving Lucy on her first day of Kindergarten with a pit in my stomach. But I didn't feel that way with Lena. I knew she'd be fine. Second kid? Haha. 



Walking in to school


Walking out of school together. 
3. I asked Lena if she made any friends at school and she said, "Yes. The girl at my table." She didn't remember her name (but I knew it was Ruth). Lena said, "Do you know how we became friends? She said, 'Wanna be my friend?' and I said, 'Yes,' so now we're friends!" Haha. Love it.

4. On Tuesday after Levi's nap I noticed he had weird little bumps all over his legs and arms. They looked like mosquito bites, but there were way too many of them to be from bugs. At first I was worried about chicken pox, but after some googling and facebook advice I started to realize it could be a reaction to the Amoxicillin he was on for his ear infection. I called the phone nurse and she agreed that it was just a side effect of the medicine and as long as he wasn't having trouble breathing or breaking out in hives to continue the medication and wait out the rash. But Wednesday morning, he woke up looking like this:


At first, he was acting normal, but eventually the rash got worse and he started to itch. We couldn't get in at our regular doctor's office, so we had to go to a different location farther away. Our appointment was at 1:20 (naptime), so I figured Levi would sleep during the drive, but he was awake and crying the whole 30 minutes. The doctor said he was having a reaction to the Amoxicillin, and while she was hesitant to declare it an allergy, she did suggest we avoid meds in the Penicillin family in the future. She told me to give him Benadryl for his comfort, and wrote a prescription for a steroid since the rash was so out of control. Levi was miserable most of the evening, despite Benadryl and an oatmeal bath. And the paperwork that came with the steroid said common side effects include restlessness and sleeplessness, so I was dreading bedtime. But he slept all night without making a peep and woke up looking so much better! What an ordeal. I've never had a kid break out in a rash like that before. Hopefully I never will again!

5. I don't watch the news, so I get information about the world via facebook. This week, with the onslaught of Hurricane Harvey, I realized that there is a predictable timeline of social media shares related to disasters:
1. Change your profile pic to declare "Praying for [insert country/state affected]"
2. If you don't believe in prayer, declare that you're sending good thoughts and vibes.
3. Start sharing pictures of the devastation.
4. Start sharing pictures of people performing heroic tasks
5. Accuse someone of not responding correctly/quickly
Not condoning his actions, just pointing out that there's always someone . . .
See also, this hilarious babylonbee article: Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Houston to Pass Out Copies of "Your Best Life Now"
5. Remind Americans that our natural disasters are nothing compared to those in other areas of the world and we're selfish, entitled Americans because we don't change our profile picture for third world countries.
6. Plead to give money.
7. Warn that the organizations we give our money to don't actually use it to help victims.
8. And pretty soon will come the accusations that we've forgotten about the victims after the disaster subsides. 

6. I've been so busy this week getting ready for camping and rushing rash-boy to the doctor that I didn't really have time to appreciate only having one kid on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But I will say it was pretty nice to grocery shop with only Levi on Tuesday and pack alllll day yesterday with only one kid who needed supervision/attention. I got so much done! But I still have tons more to do and we're supposed to leave in 2 hours, so I'm off. We're supposed to have beautiful weather this weekend (if not a touch cold overnight), so as long as the bears stay away and Levi sleeps it should be a pretty good trip!

7. I only took one picture that wasn't school or rash related this week!

My nephew, Tayton, is playing soccer and kicking for the football team this year. Yesterday, he had back to back soccer/football games at home, so we spent the evening watching him play. (Yay, sports!) He's number 10 (on the field) kicking in the picture above. It was actually a great night for both sports. Tayton scored 2 goals in the soccer game (and his team won 3-1) and our football team smeared the other team, so Tayton got to kick 8 (I think?) field goals. He made most of them and it was fun to watch. But it's probably the only football game we'll see this year. Football is too long for my kids (and me, if we're being honest). And too cold. One game is enough. Haha.

Comments