The Saturday 7

1. I've been trying to start packing for the big move. I'm kind of a procrastinator, and I work best under pressure. Without a sense of urgency, I tend to think, "Meh. I've got plenty of time!" But as I started packing this week, I realized what a huge undertaking it's going to be. I spent 3 hours doing half of my bedroom. Because I'm sorting through everything, throwing away vitamins that expired 6 years ago, forcing myself to throw away some of my girls' artwork, finding things deep in the closet that I didn't even know I had! Haha.


I've also been stalking facebook marketplace and craigslist for deals on decor and necessities. This week I got a steal on bunk beds for the girls. They're white, wooden, and can break apart into twin beds once we frame in Levi's room and the girls don't have to share anymore. Yesterday, we went to Pinky's Place to look around and I realized I'm a total sucker for the whole "Fixer Upper Farmhouse Chic" trend. I love it all. But I'm worried that it's a fading phase. Can someone please tell me what the next trend is going to be, so my new house is not totally outdated? (Mostly kidding. My decor style is "Thrift Store Chic.")

2. I made the mistake, this week, of bragging to my brother and sister-in-law that Levi has never even attempted to climb out of his crib. Guess what he did two days later? #facepalm  I almost never put him down for a nap anymore, because he sleeps in and then if he takes a nap, bedtime is a nightmare. But one day this week he woke up earlier than usual and was being a crank, so I attempted to put him down for a nap. Not much later, I heard the pitter patter of troublemaking feet coming down the stairs. Sure enough, he had climbed out of his crib! I had him show me how he did it, and realized he was using a table next to his bed. I moved the table and he hasn't done it again, but I'm pretty sure his crib days are numbered. (He's going to be 3 next month, so it's probably overdue, but I really like keeping him contained.)


3. I mentioned in my 2018 Year in Review that we're hoping to send our kids back to ACS next year. Hoping is the operative word. Private school ain't cheap, and coming up with a down payment for the house is going to wipe out our savings. It's pretty much going to depend on how much we get back for our tax return. I've been telling people that I had to homeschool for a year to realize how much money I was willing to spend to have someone else teach my children. Lol. That said, we're currently accepting sponsorships for our children's education . . . Haha.

4. Yesterday, Justin and I went on a date because it's January/almost his birthday/I had a gift card burning a hole in my wallet/sometimes we need a break from our wonderful kids. We went shopping for Lena's birthday, ate at Red Robin, then walked around the mall - well part of the mall. I was wearing heels and my bunions were killing me, so I didn't make it far. (#33goingon83) We spent most of our time at Barnes and Noble. Man, I love bookstores. Then, while we were there, we decided to get my ring cleaned. Justin bought the extended warranty when he got it 14 years ago, so they always check it for loose stones/prongs. The guy took one look at my ring under the microscope and said, "Well, Mrs. VanderKodde, I'm sorry to say you will not be wearing this ring home today." He said we were lucky to have brought it in when we did because my big stone was extremely loose. He sent it in for repair, with an estimated pick-up date of January 26! I'm going to feel so naked for two weeks! And I never realized how much I play with my ring until it's gone!
I may have gained some weight since the ring was first placed on my finger 14 years ago. Lol. And yes, I have abnormally hairy fingers. 
5. We're studying Africa this month in Lucy's homeschool, so I insisted on watching Lion King. Lucy is extremely disagreeable and whined all week about how she doesn't want to watch Lion King. I don't understand that girl. So I invited our friends over who are using the same curriculum as us. And I made a Lion King Bingo game to help keep their interest. For the little girls, I did pictures, and the older girls got words.

I had prizes for every Bingo they got - just dumb stuff from the dollar store.
Fake mustaches
Matching emoji earmuffs and bracelets.

I also made the older girls answer questions like, "Why is the lion the king?" (Top of the food chain.) "How do you know this movie is set on the savannah?" "Why was there no food for the lions when Scar took over?" (He allowed the hyenas to take over and destroyed the delicate balance of the food chain!) And I wouldn't be a true Christian homeschooler if I didn't add a spiritual application like, "Did Simba deserve to be rescued from the hyenas even though he deliberately disobeyed?" (No.) "Why did his dad rescue him?" (Because he loved him.) "Who does that remind you of?" (Jesus!)

6. One of my goals for this year was to cut back on my kids' screen time. It is not going well. I think my kids watch an unreasonable amount of Netflix/PBS - mostly because if they're not glued to a screen, they're glued to my side. They are incapable of entertaining themselves - despite the mounds of toys in this house, despite the fact that I gave them siblings to play with, despite the fact that I'm a mean wench. Especially Lena. I think that girl's love languages are quality time and physical touch. This morning, in fact, Justin got up with the kids so I could sleep in. After a while, though, Lena came in begging me to get up. I said, "Why? Daddy and Grandpa and Grandma and Lucy and Levi are all up. Play with them." She responded, "I just want you to get up because I love you so much!" (Guilt trip, much?) I said, "If you love me, you'll let me sleep." Lol. She didn't appreciate that. I know it's my own fault that my kids are addicted to their screens. And I don't ignore them all the time! I spend half the day educating them for Pete's sake. I read to them and play games with them and keep them alive. I'm just a major introvert, in that I need time and space to be alone. Honestly, that's part of the reason I want them to go back to school. If they're at school for 8 hours a day, I'll have time to miss them. I'll be able to enjoy the time I do have with them at home. And that's 8 hours less that I have to coax them away from their screens! Ha.

7. Pictures
The pile of books I'm hoping to make it through this year. Lucy has already read 7 chapter books this year. I've made it through half of one. Non-fiction is not my jam.

Lena with her playdough horse.

Got my hair chopped yesterday. I told the stylist, "Make it as short as you can, but long enough for a ponytail. I don't care what you do with it. I will not style it, so something that can wash and go! (Or if I'm honest, rarely wash. Lol.)"

Also got my eyebrows and mustache waxed. Pretty sure I lost 5 pounds of hair in one day! Lol.

Comments