The Saturday 7

1. We had a rough start to our week. Lena got a terrible summer cold and was absolutely miserable. She was up numerous times in the night, hacking her guts out, had a fever for 3 straight days, and would not let me put her down. I carried her all day, every day for at least 3 days. I eventually was so desperate to save my back and get some stuff done, that I attempted putting her in the hip carry in my hot sling. She freaked out and screamed like crazy, climbing up me and clawing at me like she was dying.
It was a brutal few days. On Wednesday, she suddenly turned the corner and has been so much happier ever since. Whew!

2. Last Saturday, we had plans to go to the beach at Grand Haven, but Friday night is when Lena started to feel sick and I was really worried about driving the hour to Grand Haven only to have her melt down. We had already told Lucy we would go to the beach, though, so she was heartbroken at the idea of ditching the plan altogether. So we made the brilliant decision to go to Long Lake instead. The girls loved the super warm lake water, Lucy loved the sand (Lena was terrified), and we had a blast for a good hour and a half. Then Lena was done and it started to storm, so we called it good and went home. That beach is seriously only 10 minutes from our house. We really need to go more often.

3. I got on a reading kick this week and read two whole books in as many days. I started with The Bachelor's Bargain by Catherine Palmer and absolutely loved it. Then on Thursday, I needed a break, so Justin stayed home with the girls and I went to the library all by myself. I read the back of every book in the inspirational fiction section and left with 4 more books to read. One of them was Love Finds You in Calico, California. It was pretty cheesy, but still a fun read. I just started another one today that I'll likely finish before bed tonight. It's how I roll.

4. I was asked to be the preschool teacher for VBS this year at our church. I helped in the preschool room last year, but it was an epic fail. Lena refused to go to the nursery, my back couldn't handle carrying her in the Bjorn all day, and then Lucy completely melted down. I quit after 2 days. Haha. This year, Niki is coming to my house to watch Lena every day, and I think Lucy will be much better equipped to handle the classroom setting. I agreed to do it, and figured I'd get some kind of curriculum to follow. This week, I found out that I have to write my own curriculum. I was given a general outline, but I'll have to plan the story, crafts, activities, etc. Alrighty then! Haha. That's right up my alley, though. I'm not too concerned. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. :-)

5. I feel like Lena had a verbal explosion this week. She suddenly talks all day and can say most anything. Of course, I don't understand a lot of what she's saying, but she's clearly trying to communicate. Her new favorite word is "why?" I feel like she's way too young for this stage! One day she said, "candy?" and I said, "no," to which she responded, "why??" Ha! I said, "Where did she get that from?" and Lucy piped up, "probably me!" Haha.

6-7. We had such a nice 4th of July. It's my second favorite holiday of the year for good reason. We had beautiful weather - 75 and sunny - and such a great group of people to celebrate with. Our friends the Howards live in Pennsylvania, but always come home to visit for a good chunk of the summer. Their kids play so nicely with Lucy and she adores them. Plus we love hanging with Becky and Brian. The kids all swam:

We played Bocce Ball:

We ate TONS of good food:



We played cards and games, the kids brought half of Lucy's toys outside and played together for hours:

And we ended the evening with sparklers, s'mores, and a bonfire:

Lena loved the sparkler and was not nearly scared enough. She wanted to grab it and put it in her mouth. Haha.

Lena thought it was the greatest day ever. My parents and I spent all morning cooking, so she went from my mom, to my dad to me mooching food. And she continued to eat alllll day.
She ate tons of whole cherries - pit and all!
She thought the sparklers were awesome, loved the big fireworks we could see across the field, and was in her glories with all the people to play with. She got to stay up til after 10 to do fireworks, woke up at her usual 6:30 am, but went back down for a nap by 8 and slept til 11! Lucy was up 'til midnight and slept til 10:50 this morning. My kind of morning! :-)

Comments