Saturday, March 5, 2016

The Saturday 7

1. It's amazing how much life can change in a week. Haha. We're adjusting to life as a family of 5 and soaking up the newborn phase. I'm going to write an official "One Week Update" on Monday, but this entry is definitely going to be pretty baby-centric. Prepare yourselves.

2. After my day of leisure on Thursday when Niki took the girls all morning and we spent the rest of the day snuggling in bed, Friday was a bit more stressful. Fortunately, my mom was able to bring Lucy to school. But I had to bring the little Ls to the pediatrician by myself. I told myself it wasn't going to be that hard. I just had to get them in and out of the car a few times. Levi still sleeps pretty much all the time. Lena is easily entertained by YouTube on my phone. But the whole morning was a fiasco. His appointment was at 10:30, which ended up being really bad timing for the feeding schedule. He was getting hungry just as we were getting to the doctor, and I was starting to feel the pain. We had to do all the "first time patient" paperwork, which is ridiculous since he was 4 days old and doesn't have a health history. We saw the nurse right away but waited forever for the doctor. She was worried about his jaundice, so told me to head to the lab across the street and have his heel pricked. Ok. Easy enough. I fed him in the waiting room (which was not particularly easy with the nursing cover, since we're not pros at this nursing thing yet) while Lena climbed all over me and rummaged through my purse for snacks. By this time, it was 11:30. I hadn't planned on going out to lunch, since Niki had taken the girls to McDonald's the day before, but I knew we'd need something soon. McDonald's is right next door to the doctor's office, but I talked Lena into getting a cheese roll-up from Taco Bell on our way home.

Finally, we went over to the lab - where 10 other people were waiting in the waiting room. Oy. We got checked in and the lady suggested that we could go get some lunch because the wait was at least half an hour. Of course, Lena refused to get McDonald's since she had her heart set on Taco Bell. But I was starving. So I got McD's, scarfed it down in the car, then headed back to the lab. By this time, my back was starting to hurt from getting Levi and the carseat in and out. So I got the bright idea to put him in the stroller. But when Lena saw me get the stroller out of the trunk she freaked out that she wanted to ride in it and I had to drag her into the lab screaming while trying to push Levi in the stroller. We finally left the lab at 1:15, drove through Taco Bell, and made it home by 1:50. But I had to pick Lucy up at 3, which meant it was too late for Lena to get a nap, which meant I didn't get a nap either. I was exhausted the rest of the day and starting to feel a little hormonal. More about that in the One Week Update. (His bilirubin came back in the safe range, by the way.)

3. I realized I forgot to explain Levi's middle name in the last entry. We went with William because that's Justin's grandpa's name and his dad's middle name. I love using family names as middle names. But I'm going to have to have a few more kids to honor everyone important to us. Haha.

4. And on the name topic . . . Lena has the hardest time remembering the name "Levi." She actually calls him "Eli" more often than not. Haha. It's not a pronunciation thing. She just gets confused. When she does remember his real name, it comes out like "Wee-vi." Adorable.

5. When we first came home from the hospital, I didn't have that immediate feeling that Lena looked so huge all of a sudden. But it's starting to hit me more and more. Changing her diaper is ridiculous. I can't believe how long her legs are and how huge her diapers are! She feels ginormous now when I rock her on my lap in the rocking chair. And hauling her in and out of the crib is crazy. We should really get to work on potty training and transitioning to the big girl bed.

6. Lucy went back to school on Friday for the first time in over a week. (She only has school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.) Last Friday she had the flu, and on Monday she had a meltdown when she woke up to discover that I was at the hospital having a baby. She was so mad that we didn't tell her that was the plan the night before. Haha. And she was apparently still recovering from her sickness because she couldn't stop crying that her legs hurt and said she couldn't walk. So my mom let her skip school that day. Then Wednesday, she had her first snow day! I was a little worried about all the work she'd have to make up at home as a result. But when I picked her up on Friday her teacher said that Lucy voluntarily skipped recess, P.E., and library so she could catch up on her work - and she got it all done!

7. I can't think of a seventh. You all know what we've been up to this week. I don't even have any dumb Pinterest pictures to share. After weeks (months?) of sitting around glued to my computer, I've hardly even picked it up this week. Too busy nursing and sleeping and snuggling. It's the life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It