The One Where I Freak Out About Christian School Prices

It's that time of year again: the girls' school just came out with next year's tuition costs . . . and they're astronomical as usual. To send both of the girls (Lena will only go 3 full days) will cost us literally 1/3 of our yearly income. Is it fiscally irresponsible to spend 1/3 of our income on our children's education? Is it time to be done with Christian school? Does that mean I have to homeschool?? Cue the panic. Cue the audience participation.

Really, it comes down to this: Thanks to our tax refund, we technically can afford to pay tuition, but that obliterates any hope of moving out of my parents' house this year. This March will be 5 years of mooching off my parents' generosity, and while they haven't said a word or intimated any desire for us to leave in any way, I'm getting weary of taking advantage of them.

But even if we do use our tax refund as a down payment on a house, we absolutely cannot afford a house payment and tuition payments. And neither Justin nor I is comfortable with public school. So that means diving headfirst into homeschool . . . which I just really don't want to do. I've written over and over about how selfish and lazy I am. Do you think either of those virtues pairs well with being responsible for my children's education?? [Or maybe God is calling me to it simply for my sanctification. Nooooo!] Honestly, my biggest fear is never having a break from my kids. I hate admitting that. I don't want to be that mom, but apparently I am. I start to get a little short of breath just thinking about being with them 24/7. I love Tuesdays and Thursdays when both of the girls are at school and I have alone time with Levi. The other aspects of homeschooling don't scare me nearly as much. I'm sure I could handle teaching them. We have enough homeschooling friends and a great church community that I'm not totally freaked out about socialization. My kids are going to be awkward no matter how they're schooled. That's just DNA. But can I really handle being with them all day every day?

And if being with my children is such a burden, why don't I just get a job and stop stressing about making a way to be a stay at home mom? Then we could afford the best of both worlds - Christian school and our own house. Too bad I dropped out of college and have no marketable skills or experience that will land me a job worth paying for daycare.

The only other option we haven't explored is charter schools. We have two in our area (although one usually fills up, so acceptance isn't guaranteed), but I don't even really understand what a charter school is. How is it different than public? Is it still a decent education? Is there any Christian bent?

So now it's your turn. Tell me what to do. Tell me homeschooling isn't really that bad and once we get the routine down my children will be sweet little angels. Or tell me that living with my parents is worth it for the Christian education and I should mooch off them as long as they'll let me. Or tell me you had a great experience at a charter school and it's totally the way to go. Or tell me about a great job opportunity I might be qualified for. (I'm secretly hoping to take over either as school librarian or the church secretary when those beloved ladies retire - if you have any pull in making that happen, put in a good word for me.) Just please don't tell me to suck it up and put my kids in public school. Don't accuse me of sheltering them and living in fear. My fragile emotions can't take it.

Comments

  1. 1/3 of your income?? Ouch.

    I consider us to be very much alike (at least in my imagination and memory), and I manage to do homeschool. It's really really not that bad. Like you said, teaching them is really not that hard, and although some days are full of tears and lectures and sending children back to bed, most days we get school done in two hours flat.

    For my two boys who are school aged this year I spent about $250 total for all their curriculum. I spent an additional $175ish for our co-op fees. The curriculum and activity choices I've made have turned out to be very affordable (thank heavens).

    I highly recommend finding a co-op near you if possible... it gives the kids an opportunity to learn to behave in a classroom, get to experience school stuff like show and tell and packed lunches, lets them learn from other adults, and gives you as a mom a break and social connections!! Having other friends that homeschool is an enormous encouragement as well.

    I think the secret to successful homeschooling/stay-at-home-mom-ing is to keep busy. That may mean having a weekly meet-up with a friend and her kids, going to co-op or an independent enrichment class, story time, church, the gym (ha!), or whatever. And it doesn't even mean leaving your house... just creating routines like an afternoon read-about time, quiet time, tv time, art time, etc. can make it all seem less chaotic and more manageable. Also? Don't be afraid to ask for help. If you need a break, ask somebody to watch the kids and go wander around Target for an hour or go to a book store and read in peace. That's 100% ok.

    I have plenty of days when I'm cranky and tired (ok, most days) and just want to quit and send the kids to public school. But then I remember that I chose to homeschool for a reason. For a lot of reasons. I truly believe it is the right choice for my family. It's a choice I'm pretty sure I won't regret :)

    I have absolutely nothing against any other form of school. Nobody can tell you what to do! Everyone is different :) But... if I can do it, you can do it. Good luck with this super tough decision!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you'd chime in, because I agree that we're a lot alike! Thanks for your input. I've actually thought about getting a gym membership because I'm pretty sure the Y has free childcare, and I could at least have an hour to myself, even if it means riding a stationary bike while reading a book. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Yes! I have had a Y membership in the past and will again when Hazel decides to stay in nursery. They also have an amazing financial assistance program.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment