The Saturday 7

1. This week, we did something that my girls have been begging to do for ages: sister swap. My best friend has girls who are the exact same ages as my girls, so on Wednesday, Kelly picked up Lucy and dropped off Harper. Lucy and Presley played at their house all day, while Harper and Lena played here. And they all had a blast. As much as I harp on my girls to love each other and be friends, sometimes it's nice to play with your own friend without your sister around.

BFFs!

2. I left Kelly's house with the entire series of Boy Meets World on DVD. My mean parents didn't let me watch it growing up, so I've only seen a few episodes here and there since adulthood, and I figured it'd be a good show to binge while Justin's out of town (hopefully just one more week!). I watched the first 7 episodes Wednesday night and was amazed at how innocent it is! Weeknight sitcoms on regular TV are NOT like that anymore. I'm not even sure Disney shows are like that anymore. I'm sure it'll get more "risque" as the characters age, but for now I'm enjoying episodes about Cory painting a fence to earn money for a water gun. And I'm really enjoying the 90s fashion . . . which is totally coming back in style. #smh #momjeans

3. I got involved in a minor facebook debate about abortion this week. It wasn't a big deal. Most people were civil, but there was one commentor who really surprised me. Look, I'm aware that I live in a bubble and that 90% of my friends - online and in real life - are pro-life. I know, intellectually, that there are people out there who don't believe life begins at conception. But I was shocked when one lady on facebook told me that voting pro-life is an attempt to save "imaginary babies" at the expense of real, living children [outside of the womb]. (She went on to explain that my religion has duped me into believing that imaginary people are more important than real people, but that's neither here nor there . . .) I can handle the personal attack (because it obviously wasn't personal - she has some anger toward religion), but I feel it's purely unscientific to call an unborn baby "imaginary." I can understand debating whether the baby has a soul or worth or whatever, but to label it as imaginary?! I wanted to ask if she's ever been pregnant and had an ultrasound. You can't possibly deny that there is a living being there. It's not imaginary. I saw Lena's heartbeat on an ultrasound at 7 weeks! When I had my miscarriages, no one - even the staunchest pro-choicers - ever said, "I'm sorry you lost your imaginary baby" or "I'm sorry about that blob of tissue you just passed" - no, people said, "I'm so sorry about your baby." #endrant . . . And seriously I do not intend to perpetuate the abortion debate. The poster of the original article that got this started reads my blog and was very respectful and understanding in her discussion with me, so don't get crazy in the comments!

4. Justin and I went on a "couples date" yesterday with a bunch of our couple friends. I will never get over what a blessing this group of friends is. 12 years ago, I was despairing that Justin and I would ever have couple friends because we're not outgoing enough to make friends, and our interests are too different to come by them naturally. So when this group of high school friends started meeting, it was the perfect fit. And since that first bonfire 12 years ago, our group has grown and matured - in more ways than one. I think we have 16 kids between us all. I tend to lose track. But last night was kid free and so much fun! We went to a brewery restaurant that had good food but pretty awful service. We were literally there for 3 hours because it was sooooo slow. Then we stuffed ourselves with FroYo and ended the evening playing games and watching YouTube videos. #thisis30

5. This weekend was Town and Country Days in Sparta. We met Justin's dad and niece Persephone at the carnival yesterday. Good ole Grandpa got wristbands for the girls so they could ride unlimited rides and we bought a few tickets for Levi. I thought he'd love the little train or the car rides. I was wrong . . .
We didn't make him stay on. Justin got him off as soon as I took this picture. Haha.

Everything was too loud for him to handle. I think he would've loved it otherwise.

Lena was hesitant at first, but eventually warmed up and enjoyed some rides. I even went on one with the girls since Levi wasn't going to use his tickets! I went on the Tornado and didn't even puke. #thankyouverymuch





I don't know how Lucy can get sick riding in the car, but has no problem riding the Scrambler

We took a little break to let Levi check out the big trucks and police vehicles




6. Then today was the parade. The weather forecast actually called for rain both yesterday and today, but it stayed remarkably dry. Today's parade was probably the best weather we've ever had since the rain held off and it stayed cool! As per usual, my kids do not appreciate the loud noises, but love the free candy.
Waiting . . .

Waiting . . .

Hiding from the firetrucks. 



7. Just a couple more pictures . . .
I was having a good hair day for our date Friday night. But I'm not good enough at make up to take a selfie without a woodland animal filter. Lol. Would I totally be a teenager-wannabe if I made this my fb profile?
Just a little man, doing manly stuff with his lawn mower and saw



Just chillin' with the Pie Face mask . . .
Trampoline safety is a high priority in our household

Heeeeere's Lena!

More woodland creatures





Comments

  1. I was surprised by that comment too (she has kids and has been pregnant), until I realized what she meant by “imaginary babies” was the idea that politicians who claim to be “pro-life” are using potential, future unborn babies as in babies that have not been conceived yet (ie imaginary babies) to gain support rather than dealing with the issues affecting real live babies and children who already exist right now.
    At least I’m pretty sure that’s what she meant:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of your 10% pro choice people. I don't get into debates about it, because I can't change anyone's mind. And I can respect the position of people who are pro-life. That said, I think the term "imaginary babies" is gauche. (Though, I think the explanation above is a good one).

    Also, I want to rewatch Boy meets World. I loved that show.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment