The Saturday 7

I really don't think I'm going to make it to 7 things because our whole week can be summed up in two awful words: stomach flu.

1. I worked all day on Monday and Lucy was her normal self. We had spaghetti for dinner - something I don't make often because I don't like it. But Lucy loved it and scarfed it down. A couple hours later, she puked it up all over me, the couch, my white sweatshirt, and white blanket. 1st load of laundry. We put her to bed an hour later and she puked up the rest of her dinner. 2nd load of laundry. Justin went to bed and said, "Hopefully she's done throwing up now." Ugh.

She threw up literally every 20 minutes until 4 a.m. Eventually I just started putting a burp cloth under her head. I'd jump up when she started puking, wipe off her face, and replace the burp cloth. She hardly even woke up every time. After a few hours of this, I started to worry about her getting dehydrated, so I got out the medicine syringe and started squirting water down her throat every time she puked. It was horrible.

She's been puking about once every 24 hours since then. The doctor said it's just the stomach flu and we have to wait it out. :-(

2. I got a mild version on Thursday. Fortunately Justin had that day off this week, because I was pretty worthless. I just laid on the couch in agony, made Justin go get me Saltines and Gatorade, and cried about how much I wanted to throw up just to get the grossness out of my stomach. I never actually did throw up and felt better by Friday morning.

3. Ok, enough about puke!! Until today, we had absolutely no snow cover - pretty unheard of for this time of year in Michigan. This morning we woke up to a fine dusting. I just want the record to show that I have absolutely no objection to a green Christmas. Haha. This may come as a surprise to some. I'm generally a very traditional person. But I'm willing to compromise with snow. I detest that white stuff, abhor driving in it, dread it all year. So the longer we can make it without snow, the better!! I'll find my Christmas spirit elsewhere.

4. Speaking of which . . . Christmas is now 8 days away and I'm getting really excited. We only bought presents for Lucy, Chase and Lyla, and a couple for each other this year. But I have everything bought, wrapped, and under the tree. Lucy hasn't touched the presents. I have more trouble keeping the stupid cat away from them.

5. We're going to miss the extended VanderKodde family Christmas tonight because of the flu debacle. So sad! I love Justin's family parties. Always so much good food (they're ordering Pizza Hut tonight! So mad I'm missing it!), so many laughs, so many cute kids (there's always a new baby in the VK clan!), and games galore! We always play Bunko at Christmas. This will be the first year we've ever missed. And hopefully the last!

6. My work schedule actually worked out really well this week. I worked on Monday when we were healthy, then had the rest of the week off 'til Friday. I actually called in sick Thursday night. I'm glad I did because Lucy threw up again Friday morning. But I felt pretty bad about leaving them high and dry. Although, in the 5 years I've worked there I'm pretty sure I've only called in sick 2 other times - once when I had the flu, and once when I had my miscarriage. So really, that's not too bad, right? And seriously, I think they'd be more upset if I showed up and they all got the flu the week of Christmas!

7. Oh, here's an exciting milestone to finish with: Lucy doesn't really point at things and identify them. She can say kitty and juice and stuff, but mostly just if I ask her to say it. For the first time this week, I pointed to a baby in her book and said, "What's this?" She actually replied: "baby!" (Which is also a new word this week.) So proud!

Comments

  1. I hope the flu is gone for good!! That's just miserable.

    Yay for new words and skills! So much fun to watch them learn :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment