3 Week Update

Lena Beana is 3 weeks old today!

She's been kind of fussy the past few days. For the most part, if she's not sleeping or eating, she's crying - unless she's being held/jiggled. I told Justin that originally I was worried that she's getting colicky, but then I decided she's just getting spoiled. Haha. I know, I know. A 3 week old can't be spoiled. Although it sure is amazing how she can be screaming one second and silences as soon as I pick her up.

Milestones
She continues to roll over anytime I put her on her belly. And I'm pretty sure she legitimately smiled at me for the first time today. She did it twice at two totally different times. Love it. Makes the lack of sleep and constant nursing totally worth it.

Routine
We've started to go to bed a little earlier at night now that Justin isn't home to wake up with Lucy. I usually feed Lena between 9:30 and 10:30 and try to go to bed soon afterward. She sleeps for 4 hours pretty much like clockwork, wakes up to eat, then usually goes right back to sleep. 3 hours later she's up again to eat, but doesn't always go back to sleep so easily. I usually spend a good half hour leaning over my bed replacing her binky and rocking her Rock n' Play until she stops grunting and goes to sleep. Then 2 hours later she's up again. If I'm lucky, she goes back to sleep after eating and Lucy isn't up yet. But usually we're up for the day at that point.

During the day, she nurses about every 2 hours and sleeps in between. She still has very little awake time. I feel like Lucy slept less at this point. Maybe not. I'm very fortunate that she almost always takes a good long nap from like 1:00-5:00 - the same time Lucy is sleeping. So I can usually catch a nap with them.

Recovery
Until last night I was doing a lot better. I felt like my back was slowly on the mend and I was able to start doing a little bit more around the house/with the girls. But then last night I was laying Lena down on the playmat when all of the sudden I felt this intense shooting pain in my back. I don't know if that's what it's called to "throw out your back," but it took my breath away and left me writhing on the floor. Justin was working late, Lena was crying on the playmat and I was just laying there trying to breathe while Lucy patted me saying, "It's ok, Mommy!" Ugh. I actually took a Vicodin this morning just so I could get out of bed. I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow morning. I reeeeally hope he can help me!

Breastfeeding
It's going much better. She's barely hurting me at all anymore. And she's getting much more efficient. She usually nurses in about 10 minutes, and often only eats off one side - especially in the middle of the night when she sleeps longer and I get fuller.

I do think she's had some painful gas lately, so I've been experimenting a little bit with what I drink. I gave up Dr Pepper for a day, but it didn't seem to make a difference and just gave me a headache. I know it probably takes longer than a day to work its way out of my system, but more people suggested giving up milk. That's easier for me to do anyway. Haha. So I haven't had milk in a couple days and I honestly think it might be helping a little bit. She's sleeping better and not having as much gas. We'll see.

Overall, things are going well. I'm starting to miss sleeping through the night, but I'm enjoying the snuggle time and can't wait to start seeing more smiles. I love the cuddly little newborn stage and am trying to soak it all up . . . and not worry about spoiling her. :-)

Comments