The Saturday 7

1. Lena had her 6 month check-up on Monday. She weighed 14 lbs, 8 oz. and measured 26". That puts her in the 14th percentile for weight and the 39th for height. Still a little shrimp! She got 4 shots, screamed when they poked her, but stopped crying as soon as I picked her up. She was feverish and cranky for the next couple of days, but nothing terrible.

2. She has been getting up so much at night. It is ridiculous. We've been doing some cry it out, but it's not going very well. Especially because she's still sleeping in our room. And Lucy's room is right next to ours. She woke up one night this week saying, "Mommy! Lena is being too loud!" We all agree, Lucy.

3. I got pink eye again this week. I really need to do some research on recurring conjunctivitis or something. Fortunately, I still have some of the antibiotic eye drops from last time. And I came across this little gem online. That seemed to help too!

4. In this week's edition of "Food Lucy Won't Eat" we have . . . homemade pizza! On Thursday night, I pureed a bunch of spinach and a jar of baby food squash into a can of store-bought pizza sauce. I smeared it on the crust and Lucy helped me put cheese and toppings on it. She thought it was so fun arranging everything on the crust and happily declared, "We're making pizza!" when my mom got home. But she took one bite before saying, "I don't like the stuff under the cheese." She proceeded to pick all the cheese off and refuse to eat any more. For the first time, she really begged all night for something to eat. It was very hard for me, but I kept telling her, "Your pizza is on the table. You have to eat that." She went to bed hungry. Sigh.

5. Maybe she doesn't eat because everything just makes her puke! We went to Red Robin last Saturday. She ate fries, ranch, and macaroni. Partway through the macaroni she started to cry that she was going to puke. She made it to the bathroom, puked her guts out, then wanted to eat more! I think she has puked almost every time we've gone to Red Robin. On Thursday, we spent the day at Niki's house. Lucy ate leftover Little Caesar's pizza and puked in the car on the way home. I finally started a log on my computer of all her puking incidents. I need to look up the nutrition info on these restaurants' websites. She's got to be allergic to a certain kind of frying oil or something. So crazy.

6. In case you missed it, we had a tea party to celebrate the letter "T" this week. I appreciate all the sweet comments, but I want to make something clear right now. I do all these fun crafts/activities with Lucy as much (maybe more) for myself as for her. I go so crazy playing her made up games all day or watching episode upon episode of Caillou. I really have to have some structure in our day. And if you ever start to feel bad about the fun stuff we do, remember this: For every 15 minutes we spend doing a craft, I spend an hour on facebook. For every fun field trip we go on, Lucy spends 3 hours watching Netflix. Haha. Let's be real. Which leads me to my next point . . .

7. I need help finding independent play activities for Lucy. She is to that age where she feels the need to be constantly entertained. If the TV isn't on, she's begging me to plaaaaaay with her. I'm happy to play with her for a good portion of the day, but I also have stuff I need to get done. Especially on the days she refuses to nap, I need some activities I can set up for her. One day this week, I randomly came up with this:
A tray. Some beads. Some bowls and spoons.
It was actually very effective. She played with it for a long time. I've searched Pinterest for "busy bag" ideas. It's beyond overwhelming. And a lot of the ideas require sewing or craft supplies I don't have on hand. I'm looking for tried and true ideas from other moms. What do you do with your kids when you need a moment alone?

Comments