The Good

You know that phrase, "The good, the bad, and the ugly?" Well I feel like I share a fair amount of the bad and the ugly that goes on around here. I don't know why I focus on the bad. Maybe just to make others feel better about their "bad" or to commiserate and get sympathy, or just because no one wants to hear about all my perfect moments all the time. And sometimes, the bad and ugly is honestly comical and I want you all to get a kick out of our disasters. But in my quest to squelch the depression, I've been thinking about how I tend to dwell on the bad and just make things worse. I saw this poster on Pinterest and decided I was going to try it:

So I started jotting down "the good things" yesterday and today. Don't get me wrong. Our life is not all happy moments and sweet snuggles. Lena has been sick and not sleeping. She was up for hours screaming both Saturday and Sunday night. I spend a lot of time breaking up fights between Lucy and Lena, a lot of time yelling, "Lucy! Be nice! Lena! Stop pulling Lucy's hair!" But I don't want you guys to think my kids are terrors all the time. They are so so wonderful. Here are some of our "good" moments from the past couple of days:
  • Lena fell asleep in my arms on the couch. She never does that!
  • Lucy and Lena cuddled on the couch together.
  • Lucy sang the "Cubbies" song at dinner.
  • Lucy reassured Lena in her sweet, calming voice, "You can get out of your high chair when everyone is done eating. It will just take a few minutes. You'll be ok."
  • The girls helped my mom sweep the kitchen floor. I was sitting in the other room listening to Lena say "oops" every few seconds. Lucy encouraged her by saying, "Good job, Lean!"
  • Lena screamed and flailed when I told her it was nap time, but as soon as I sat down in the rocker, she laid her head on my chest and cuddled with me while I sang to her.
  • We survived grocery shopping with no meltdowns and very few fiascoes. 
  • Justin and I got Taco Bell after shopping and Lena cracked us up by shouting "chicken!" from the backseat as soon as she realized we were in a drive thru line. 
  • The girls played well together and we all sat together in the living room laughing at their antics. 
  • Lucy brought me a book that we've only read a few times and "read" it to me, remembering the plot, character's names, and basic premise of the story.
  • Lena laid on the couch trying to figure out Lucy's Leappad and I marveled at the softness of her cheeks and the incredible length of her eyelashes as she concentrated on her game. 
  • Despite some initial crying, Lena let Justin put her to bed. (Major success for that mama's girl!)
  • After a rough night, and getting up at 5:30 am, Lena went back to sleep in bed with me this morning until 7 am!
  • Lena snuggled with me for a long time on the couch.
  • Lucy slept 'til almost 10!
  • Lucy did her schoolwork without a single whine and caught on to the "word family" concept quickly!
  • Lucy and I looked at baby pictures of her for her Cubbies lesson. Such sweet memories!
  • We got dressed to go to the store and I had to stop and take a picture of my stinkin' adorable kids. I love girls' clothes and boots!
  • Lena couldn't be bothered to put her cup down for the picture. Haha. But look at those boots!
  • Lena sneezed in the car, Lucy took the tissue I handed her and wiped Lena's nose without an issue. She even said "Ooh, that was a gross one, Lean!" She's becoming such a big helper!
  • We stopped at Meijer for a gallon of milk and I laughed as Lena ran down the aisle toward the pony as fast as her stubby little legs would take her. 
  • Lucy and I read a chapter of her library book before rest time. I love reading with her.
  • They both napped/rested long enough for me to drink a cup of coffee and catch up on last week's episode of "Project Runway." :-)
  • Lucy said to me, "I'm blowing bubbles in my milk. . . . Actually my mouth air is making bubbles in my milk." Lol.

Comments

Post a Comment