The Saturday 7

1. Did you notice there was no Saturday 7 last week? I was wallowing in my depression a little bit. I felt like I didn't have anything positive to share and was feeling convicted about my lack of joy. So I just skipped it. I'm still fighting through the depression. I don't know why it's so bad all of a sudden, but I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday to talk about upping my medication. And I've been trying to spend less time on the computer and more time in the Bible. I just finished Isaiah in my "One Year through the Bible" journey and was surprised by how much I loved it. I used to think it was just a bunch of "Woe is you. Israel has come to ruin" but there's also a lot of redemption and hope and love there too.
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength . . . (Isaiah 30:15)
Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by namel you are mine. (Isaiah 43:1b)
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (Isaiah 46:4) 
2. I read so many great parenting articles in the past two weeks. I'm suddenly going to be an amazing parent. (I'm writing this as Lucy watches her 6th episode of Sid the Science Kid [it's educational!] and Lena continually begs me to get off the couch and play with her.) Anyway, one of them was called "Parent Like No One is Watching." It's about autism, but it's something I'm trying to remind myself of anyway. I've been trying to figure out why I'm so uncertain about my parenting. I always assumed I'd know just what to do and be confident in my decisions, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I've decided that it's because my kids aren't turning out like I expected them to. Lol. How's that for honesty? When Niki's kids started whining in the grocery store, she whipped out the angry whisper and they silenced in an instant. When my kids start whining freaking out in the grocery store, I try the angry whisper and they scream even louder! When Niki told her kids no and they started to cry, she told them to stop their crying, and they'd choke down their tears before she finished her sentence. When my kids start crying, they don't stop until the fat lady sings. I feel like a failure and I feel like people are judging me because my kids aren't perfect. But it's time to get over that. I'm doing the best I can. If people want to judge me, that's their problem. And it's a reminder to show grace when I want to judge other parents, too. (All of the above is easier said than done!)

3. I also read this one called The Opposite of the Proverbs 31 WomanIf you're a woman and you've been a Christian longer than 20 minutes, you have read Proverbs 31. And if you've been a Christian woman longer than 20 years like I have, you've read it so many times it's become commonplace. So it was really interesting to see what the opposite of the Proverbs 31 woman looks like. It was also very convicting. These were the parts that especially got to me:

She sits around, aimlessly waiting for opportunities. Her hands are idle, because nothing magically comes her way on its own.She does the bare minimum necessary to contribute to the nourishment and care of her family (and sometimes, not even that!). She can’t be expected to go to great lengths to bless her household. She sleeps in, and uses her time poorly. . . her exhaustion and stress boil over into laziness and inaction.

Basically, I feel very convicted about my laziness and have got to do something about it! 


4. We were busy all week getting our house ready for the appraisal. And by we, I mean Justin. I went with him on Sunday to wash walls while he patched nail holes. I couldn't get any of the scuff marks/grime off the walls with any of my tried and true cleaning methods, so I ended up laying on the living room floor being sad about selling our first house while he did all the work. And then he went back Monday and Tuesday to paint over the said scuff marks/grime that I couldn't get off and mow the grass so everything looked clean and new for the appraisal on Thursday. Still no word on a result, but our realtor said no news is good news. Trying to be patient . . .


5. And now I shall devote three entire points to birthday week/weekend. I have always been a big fan of birthdays. My parents made them a big deal, so I tend to get a little narcissistic around the beginning of October. This year, I held off until the 6th and then declared birthday week. I did not make dinner. I did very little housework. I watched a ton of Gilmore Girls. And I ate to my heart's content. All of which are very Gilmore-esque things to do. 




6. The official birthday celebrations began Thursday, the night before my birthday. Justin and I left the girls with my parents and went on a hot date! First up: Olive Garden. It was so nice to eat while my food was still hot and not have to worry about Lena climbing on the table or Lucy puking all over the place. Haha.
After enjoying our glorious, alfredo-filled meals, we headed over to the theater. When I was at the library on Wednesday, they were giving out free passes to a pre-screening of The Best of Me. I'm all about free movies! Especially chick flicks! I looked it up at home to make sure it was something I'd like and got a little nervous when I saw it was based on a Nicholas Sparks book. Those never end well. But the movie got really good reviews, so we decided to try it out. I don't know why I ever think Sparks will surprise me. It's the same every time. I just need to stop tormenting myself. Ugh. Hated it. 


7. The birthday fun continued Friday morning with breakfast in bed:

I hear you, Paris.
Then, we packed up and headed off to a hotel in Grand Rapids for the night. The girls have never been to a hotel and I knew they'd love it. Plus, I had enough points through my credit card rewards to get a room for nearly free. (I sprang the extra $24 for a "suite.") We had a blast!
Lounging with chips and cable TV. Note to self: most hotels have white linens. Don't bring Doritos.
The main attraction: the pool. I brought some of Lena's bath toys and she had a blast standing on the steps playing.


Mom in the hot tub. Dad and kids in the pool. This is the life.
Everything was peachy until bed time. I really didn't anticipate it being such a problem. Lena is a great sleeper and sleeps anywhere as long as she has her bed and her lovies. Well she had both last night, but was an absolute wreck. She cried forever before falling asleep. And Lucy drank too much of my pop for dinner, so literally didn't fall asleep until midnight. Of course, Lena woke up at 12:19 crying, ended up in bed with us for a while, finally went back to her own bed, when Lucy woke up screaming for no apparent reason at 3:45. Suffice it to say that we have all been tired today. Ha. 

We did a quick jaunt at the mall after checking out of the hotel. I desperately need a new pair of jeans, but I just don't know where to shop now that I'm nearing 30. I usually get my jeans from American Eagle, but I'm starting to feel like one of those moms who's trying too hard to be cool when I shop there. Where do 30 year olds shop? I tried on one pair of jeans in AE, but I couldn't bear the expense . . . or the size I now wear. You know what they say: another year, another pant size! Oy. I need to start doing this. I'll be slim and trim in no time!


Since I was depressed about my jean size, we did the logical thing and went out for lunch!
I was so hungry, I forgot to take a pic before digging in. Red Robin birthday burger! Yummmmm.
It was a great birthday. I was showered with love (thank you for all the facebook greetings!), I gorged myself on amazing food, and I spent quality time with my family. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Comments