The Radical Experiment

I decided to bite the bullet and just do it. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, read point 6 of the Saturday 7 below.) I'm not going to make a separate blog. I'll probably just update my progress every week in the Saturday 7. (More for accountability's sake than anything.) Here's the plan I have mapped out so far.

1. Read through the Bible in a year. I signed up here for a reading plan. I chose chronological because it's something I've always wanted to do. Right now, I'm signed up for NIV readings, but I'm looking for a different version. I posted on facebook that I want something different enough to feel new to me, but not just a random version that doesn't have merit. Any suggestions?

Also, the website has a link to commentaries, which I'm really excited about. So many times I read sections of the Bible and think, "What on earth did that mean?" However, it gives me a lot of options for commentaries. If you happen to be a Biblical scholar, would you mind putting in your two cents on which of these you think is the most Biblically sound? Calvin, Darby, Geneva, Gill, Jamieson Faussett Brown, Matthew Henry, or Wesley. Are there any I should definitely avoid?

2. Pray for the whole world in a year. Thanks to David Platt's suggestion, I signed up with Operation World to receive daily emails to pray for a country a day. The email has a link with specific information and prayer requests for each country. I'm going to try to do this with Lucy every night.

Those are the two I'm focusing on right now. It'd be awesome if anyone wants to join me on this journey! I'm excited to get started! (I read Genesis 1-3 tonight and already have questions! Haha.)

Comments

  1. Hi there! I feel like I haven't commented here in FOREVER!
    I think this is so awesome, Sadie! I haven't been too active with my faith as of recently, though I pray regularly, I just don't feel the connection I should anymore. While I am not so sure I am ready to go back to church (for very personal reasons), I LOVE this idea. I can't guarantee that I have the commitment to read the Bible in a year, but I am going to try!!!
    Thanks for the awesome post and inspiration! Hope you are all doing well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie: I clicked on your link for the Bible, and I am reading it out loud to J. He was born Seventh Day Adventist, and I am loving the discussion he and I are having right now, and we are only on Gen 1 :)

    Thanks so much for this link... I am loving this concept!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great! I like having a plan to follow- it's so helpful. You should make a sticker chart. ;)

    I recently got an ESV Bible. I really like it... still easy to understand like the NIV, but it's translated word by word instead of phrase by phrase which I think is neat.

    I always ask Nathan and/or his dad if I have a Bible question. Which I often do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I love the ESV too. I've been wanting to sign up for Operation World. And I love Matthew Henry's commentary... it's old-school writing style but so devotional and encouraging. I like Calvin also but his is more academic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment