Week 5: Abraham Trusts God

Week 5: Abraham Trusts God (Genesis 12-21)
Verse: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart . . ." Proverbs 3:5a

This week we read the story of Abraham's call and the birth of Isaac in Lucy's children's Bible. When I looked in my Bible to include the reference above, I realized her children's Bible leaves out a few stories: Hagar, Abimilech, Sodom and Gommorah. Haha. Maybe we'll cover those next year. ;-)

We started by talking about how God told Abraham to pack up all his stuff and move. We discussed how scary it would be to leave everything you know and go to a new place. Then we talked about how Abraham trusted God and God always knows what's best for us.

Then we did this fun craft/activity I made up, called "Pack the Camel." I printed off a picture of a camel and a bunch of suitcases.(I got minorly sidetracked by looking at Hump Day pictures when I googled camels.)

I added shapes to some of the suitcases in Microsoft Word, then we printed them off and colored them. I made sure to color a few sets of the same color so we could work on patterns. We slapped some magnetic tape on the back of each picture, got out a big cookie sheet, and got to work packing the suitcases onto our camels:

We played with patterns, both with colors and shapes. Oval, heart, oval, heart . . . Black, red, yellow, purple. Black, red, yellow, purple. Lucy is a pro at patterns, but this activity didn't keep her attention as long as I'd hoped. Darn.

Today we read about God's promise to Abraham that he would have a son. We talked again about trusting God even when it seems like his promises aren't going to come true. Then we made a little baby Isaac. I struggled with pulling something together for this lesson. We pretty much just ended up cutting out a piece of craft foam for the baby's body, gluing on a baby face from the internet, plopping the baby in a little craft foam cradle, and putting his name on it with stickers. Oh, and we colored a picture of Abraham and Sarah, too, to reiterate that they were old and it was a miracle that they could have a baby. (Even though Lucy totally doesn't grasp the idea of menopause . . .)


Comments