Book #9: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Amazon Link

Justin and I drove to Auburn Hills for a little getaway this weekend. It's a 2.5 hour drive and I am a horrendous traveler. I can't handle being bored and I'm a very anxious passenger. Without fail, I get a stomach ache an hour before we leave, filled with anxiety about dying in some gruesome highway crash and leaving my girls orphans. All that's to say, I was looking for something fun and light to keep my attention on the drive. This book fit the bill. (And reading it on the Kindle prevented the usual sickness I experience reading a real book while riding in the car.)

It was silly and fun and interesting. There were definitely parts that had me laughing out loud and reading through tears trying (and failing) to convey the humor to Justin. My favorite parts were her list of what makes a good best friend, and this description of herself as a kid that I hugely identified with:
When I was a kid, I was obsessed with listing my favorite things. I kept an index card with all my favorite foods folded in my wallet, just in case anyone asked me what they were. Then when people walked away, I imagined they'd say: "Whoa, Mindy Kaling is so cool and self-actualized. McDonald's pancakes are her favorite food and she was able to tell me right away." I was prepared for all kinds of potential fun situations when I was [a] kid. I kept a bathing suit in my backpack in case I went anywhere there was a swimming pool . . . I planned excessively.
I don't know why I found that so hilarious, but I did. Haha.

I read for about half an hour more once we got to the hotel, so I read it start to finish in about 3 hours. It was cleaner than I expected and a fun, fluffy read.

Comments

  1. I liked the first half, then I felt it got redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really identify with the title so I've been wondering about this book! Sounds fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that book - it also kept me laughing, and failing to convey the hilarity to Steve. Bossypants is my next read which I think should be good in a similar way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment