The Saturday 7

1. This week marked 2 years of living with my parents. Lena was 6 weeks old when we packed up our entire house (in one week) and descended on my parents. If I didn't constantly feel guilty about mooching and making life more difficult for my parents, I'd be happy to live here forever. Although I wouldn't mind another bedroom or two . . . and no, that's not a pregnancy announcement. Haha.

2. I've been trying to be more consistent about making the girls eat what I prepare for dinner. (I wonder how many times I've written that . . .) It is not going well. Most nights they go without dinner. I usually cave and let them have fruit if they're not going to eat what I make. But this week, I decided to break out the baby carrots. I made Lucy take one bite of dinner, then if she decided she didn't like it, she had to eat 3 carrots (with ranch - I'm not a monster!). After her carrots were gone, she could have fruit or a sandwich. Lucy has gobbled them down with abandon each night
Lena has a harder time eating them (she still doesn't have all her eye teeth/molars), but tried her best. Yay for vegetables!

3. I'm pretty sure I accidentally read a "Harlequin Romance" this week. I found it on my Kindle and the description seemed innocent enough. I didn't recognize the author, but the cover photo wasn't a typical romance book cover. It was just a picture of a woman. Her bosom wasn't exposed, her dress wasn't torn, there was no man with wind-swept hair clutching her with his shirt ripped open. It started off pretty dumb. They had to get married because of a ridiculously unbelievable scandal. He hated her because he thought she duped him into the marriage. She hated him for hating her. Then one day out of the blue he decided to forgive her and be nice and they immediately fell in love and everything was wonderful. And theeeeen, I had to start skipping pages. Whoa. I didn't expect that. Haha. There wasn't much of a plot beyond that. There were a few minor difficulties that were resolved within pages. The character development was awful. I never felt attached to the characters. I guess I can now safely say I'm not missing much by skipping the "romance" section of the library.

4. I did read one good inspirational fiction book this week: Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin. She's one of my favorite authors (Eve's Daughters is one of my all time favorite books. Also loved Hidden Places and All She Ever Wanted) but I've never read this trilogy that she wrote early in her career. I didn't love Candle in the Darkness as much as some of her other works, but it was still beautifully written and a captivating story. And when I just went to link to it on Amazon, I noticed the Kindle edition is free today! Go check it out!

5. On Thursday, we attended the Christian school open house. A little background in case you're new around here: Justin and I both attended the local Christina school all our lives - from Kindergarten through 12th grade. I loved the Christian school atmosphere and flourished there. And after much deliberation (and half a year of trying homeschooling - ha!), we've decided we want our kids to have the same opportunity. At least while we can afford it. For now, because of selling our house and living with my parents, we can afford to send Lucy to Kindergarten. We're just going to have to take it one year at a time beyond that. Anyway, the open house wasn't too exciting. We signed Lucy up for Kindergarten testing and got to meet the teacher. I didn't have Mrs. Ellsworth in Kindergarten, but my little sister and all 5 of our nephews did. Everyone loves her and I'm so excited for Lucy to have her as well.

6. I have no fears about Lucy's academic readiness for Kindergarten, but I'm slightly terrified about her social readiness. She's extremely attached to me. And she can be quite willful. Haha. I'm so nervous that I'm going to send her in to testing and she's going to cry and cling to me and refuse to answer any of the questions I know full well she can answer correctly. I guess time will tell! And I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks priming her. Haha.

7. Well that was kind of a lame entry, but that's my life. All I did this week was clean, play, read til all hours of the night, then take a nap the next day and feel grumpy all evening. Winter is making me crazy. We're supposed to have some 40* temps next week. Hopefully spring arrives before my sanity is completely lost.

Comments