The Saturday 7

1. I realized the other day that Lucy will be 2 in 2 months. Holy cow. Where has the time gone?? She has been so cute lately. She's obsessed with being naked. Right now, she's sitting on the floor in a onesie and socks reading to herself. She's really started to read out loud to herself. It's absolute gibberish, but so adorable!

2. I read a great book this week: Choosing to See by MaryBeth Chapman (the wife of Steven Curtis Chapman). It's about how they lost their 5 year old daughter in a terrible accident (their older son hit her with his car :-( ).It was hilarious and heart wrenching and theological and everything in between. I highly recommend it.

3. Last night, I went to see The Vow with Niki, Libby, and Becky. I love Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams, and it's totally my kind of movie. But I was a little bit disappointed. It was a great movie, I just didn't love the end. I realize it's based on a true story, but I wanted the Hollywood ending! Haha.

4. Justin gets up way earlier than Lucy and I do, and he always peeks in on her before he leaves for work. He said one day this week, he went to adjust her blanket and she exclaimed "Elbow!" (Elmo) She was totally asleep, never budged, didn't sit up when she saw him. She was just dreaming about the love of her life! Haha.

5. Big news: Starting next week, I am giving up Dr. Pepper. :-( I have seriously been packing on the pounds lately. I weigh more than I ever have (non-pregnant), and I really need to lose some weight before I get pregnant again. And I'm pretty sure I consume upwards of 1,000 calories of Dr Pepper a day. So it's time to bid it adieu. I'll still drink my half-caff coffee every morning to avoid the heinous caffeine withdrawal headaches. I'm just really going to miss the taste. :-(

6. I have to brag about my husband for a minute now. He has been helping out around the house so much lately. On his day off this week, he did all the laundry, dishes, and vacuuming. Plus he's been helping with dinner most nights. I'm a lucky girl!

7. I've been trying a lot of new recipes lately, and most of them have been big fat fails, but this week we found a winner! It's called Crispy Southwest Chicken wraps. I found the recipe through pinterest, but it's on this blog. It appealed to me, because it looked similar to the queso burrito I get at Qdoba. It didn't really taste the same, but it was still delicious! Here's the recipe:


Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 green onion, finely sliced (white and green parts)
1/2 red or green pepper, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups shredded cheese (I used monterey jack)
Sour cream (optional)
6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
DIRECTIONS:
Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. (Optional: on some of the wraps, I dotted the cheese with about 1-2 tablespoons of reduced fat sour cream before arranging chicken and rice mixture down the center – it made the wraps delightfully creamy.) Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open. Spray the tortillas all over with cooking spray.
Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange 2 wraps, seam-side down, in pan and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve.

Comments

Post a Comment