The Saturday 6 (I just can't think of 7!)

1. Lena had her 4 month appointment on Monday. I wrote about it on facebook, but want to record it here too. Feel free to skim. She weighed 12 lbs, 12 oz (13%), and measured 24.5" tall (34%). She's still a tiny peanut (especially compared to Lucy at 4 months), but she's growing! We got to see our actual doctor this time (she's been on maternity leave). She dismissed the PA's concerns and said not to worry about formula. She told me that my body knows just what Lena needs and that breast is best. Woohoo! Lena had to get 4 shots. She screamed hard, stopped as soon as they got the band-aids in place, then started up again when we got in the car. It took me a long time to get her settled down. I tried nursing her, but she just got mad and kept tossing her head back and forth. I've come to the conclusion lately that she is not a comfort nurser. The only thing that finally calmed her down was a receiving blanket. She found the tag on it, and settled right down by playing with it. Lucy was not a taggy baby. I think Lena will be!

2. Lucy and I worked on the letter K this week.

Flying a kite - it was the perfect sunny, windy day!

3. I came across this blog series through Pinterest this week: 31 Days to Better Understanding the Bible. I grew up in a Christian home/school/church, but I've really enjoyed the refresher, and learned some new things. I continue to be convicted about my lack of Bible reading, and am finding myself desiring it more, but I have yet to get in a good routine of actually reading it.

4. I've been working on a Summer Bucket List to do with Lucy. Some of our activities include: beach, pool party, nature scavenger hunt, go fishing, children's garden, zoo, summer reading program, baseball game, backyard camping, wash the car, and run through the sprinkler. Got any other good ideas?

5. A couple of my friends bragged  wrote on facebook this week that their newborns are sleeping through the night thanks to scheduling. Psh. My 4 month old is no where close to sleeping through the night. So I decided to start adhering to a more strict schedule this week. She wakes up on her own between 7 and 7:30 every morning. Eats around 8, back to sleep by 8:30 most days. I have finally transitioned her to eating every 3 hours, so she eats again at 11. She has an afternoon nap and an evening catnap. This week I've been working on getting her to bed by 8 - upstairs in her Rock n' Play. Until now, I've been putting her in the swing at night until I'm ready to go to bed, then I bring her upstairs with me. But I decided we have a baby monitor for a reason, so I've been feeding her, then rocking her to sleep and putting her down. So there. Schedule. She should start sleeping through the night now, right? Wrong. She just put a couple night feedings on her schedule! Haha. Almost like clockwork, she eats at midnight and 4 am. We'll give it a couple weeks and see if anything changes. Lucy was always on a schedule, and she didn't sleep through the night 'til 8 months (after a rough 2 weeks of CIO!).

6. One day this week while I was rocking Lena to sleep, I started to think about how much I love motherhood. There's really nothing better than a baby sleeping on your chest . . . except maybe when that baby is 3 years old and whispers across her princess pillow, "I love you, Mommy." One of the best [selfish] things about motherhood is that these babies love me so much regardless of my messy hair, lack of make-up,  love handles, wrinkly belly, cellulite, bad breath, and ugly clothes. They don't care about anything except that I'm their mom. I'm the one they want when they're sick or scared or sleepy. I worked at the dollar store for 2 hours today, and Lena was a wreck without me. I could hear her screaming before I even got into the house. When I took her, she settled right into me with a sigh of something akin to relief. You all know I tend to get a little overwhelmed/depressed/anxious sometimes, but I truly do cherish the moments I have with my girls. I saw this on Pinterest recently. It's a great reminder.

And how could you not cherish every moment with these faces?






Comments