The Saturday 7

I almost forgot this week! Memorial Day threw me off, and I've been so confused about what day it is all week. Alas, it is Saturday, and hence I shall pen the Saturday 7.

1. Last Saturday, we had small group at Matt and Kelly's house. To make things more interesting, we decided to spend the night! The original idea was to "camp out" in their camper, but I'm a wimp, so we stayed inside on the air mattress. Matt and Kelly have 2 girls that are almost exactly the same age as our girls, so we brought them along.
Lena: 4 months, Harper: 3 months
Lucy was so excited for her first sleepover, and the girls were adorable together. They got covered in sand in the sandbox, so they took a bath together (complete with a lot of squealing and splashing), then got their jammies on for the big sleepover.
Lucy got to sleep on Presley's princess air mattress. Best thing ever!
After we got the girls in bed, we went out to the fire with the baby monitor. Around 1 am we heard some little voices calling for their mommies. Lucy decided she'd had enough of sleeping in a strange place, so we set her up for bed with us and all got a good 5 hours of sleep. Haha. We always have such a great time with our small group friends. So blessed to have such a godly group of people to grow with and raise our kids with!

2. The diet went abominably this week. On Monday, I drank my weight in Dr Pepper and binged on meatballs and cookies. We got pizza on Thursday, Arby's yesterday, and Chinese today. Oy. I gained a pound. Really, considering the way I ate this week, I should consider it a victory I didn't gain 10!

3. Lena finally figured out how to roll from her back to her belly on Wednesday. Now she does it anytime I lay her down and then screams because she hates being on her belly and hasn't figured out how to roll back yet. Babies. 

4. My oldest nephew, Tyler, graduated on Thursday. Insane. I cannot be that old. He's such a good kid and we're so proud of him!
My siblings and me with the graduate.
We spent all day today preparing for his open house! We made 245 cake pops. Wowza.

5. We were supposed to go to a birthday party tonight for Lucy's friend Abby. No sooner had we met Kelly and Presley at the carpool lot than Lucy puked all over the pavement. She'd eaten nothing but junk food all day, and we all know Lucy is a puker, so we started to the party anyway. When she puked the second time in the car, however, I turned around and headed home. Lucy was devastated that she couldn't go to the party. And I was devastated for her. I was fighting back my own tears because I felt so bad. :-( She puked one more time in the car, and 5 or 6 more times since we've been home. I've lost count. :-( The kid is amazing, though. In the car, she puked in a McDonald's bag I dug out of the trash, and she's made it in her puke bucket every time at home. Even just now while I was writing this, I heard her crying in bed. I went upstairs to find her laying on her stomach in bed with her head in the bucket retching. My poor, sweet girl.

6. I wrote on facebook this week that I want a couple weeks on the beach just to read to my heart's content. I made the mistake of browsing Christian Living books on Amazon and finding all kinds of stuff I want to buy. Here's my list:

After You Believe - N.T. Wright - This was actually recommended on facebook by one of my old Cornerstone professors. And it's precisely what I've been struggling with lately. I know the Gospel. I could lead anyone through the Romans Road or the sinner's prayer. But then what?

For the Love of Our Husbands - Darby Dugger - I'm a sucker for a good marriage book, and this one combines prayer, which is another hot button issue in my life right now.

Becoming More than a Good Bible Study Girl - Lysa TerKeurst - This is something I've always struggled with. I was blessed to grow up in a Christian home and attend a Christian school. However, I worry sometimes that I know the answers but I don't know God.

Confessions of a Prayer Slacker - Diane Moody - This one is self explanatory.

Grace for the Good Girl - Emily P. Freeman - I think this is the one I'm most excited about, and most likely to actually buy. The subtitle is Letting Go of the Try Hard Life, which is something else I've been thinking about so much. I'm sure this subject will get its own post at some point in the near future.

7. I came across 2 different articles that have challenged me about the way I parent. This one is from a blog I subscribe to and read regularly. I linked it to facebook, so some of you may have already read it. And then I saw something on Pinterest that let me to another blog where I found this series. It's all about grace-filled-parenting, and what it means to share the gospel in your interactions with your kids. Ironically enough, when I posted the first article on facebook, one of my friends recommended the book Give Them Grace - which is the book that the second article was inspired by! So apparently I need to add that one to my list too. This whole raising-my-girls-to-know-Jesus thing is a really daunting task! Which is why I loved this article.

Whew! Thanks for reading to the end! Feel free to send up a prayer for my Lucy-girl. She puked twice while I was writing this entry, and is in absolute agony. :-(

Comments