The Saturday 7

1. I finally put Lena in the crib in Lucy's room this week. We waited until she was consistently sleeping through the night so there'd be less of a chance of the girls waking each other up. The transition went so much better than I expected! I realized that Lena has always been a fantastic transition-er. She went seamlessly from the Rock n' Play to the Pack n' Play to the crib. She even weaned from breastfeeding without incident. It just goes to show that she has Justin's laid back personality. "Oh, I sleep here now? Ok!" I don't deal with change as gracefully. Haha. 

2. We spent a lot of time cooped up in the house again this week. At this point, I feel like the local TV stations should alert us when there's NOT a winter storm as opposed to the other way around. We'll just assume we're under a winter storm warning unless they tell us otherwise. Blurg. Also, getting reeeeeeal sick of these temperatures in the single digits and windchills below zero:


3. Lucy and I did a fun little activity when we were going crazy one day this week: Alphabet Hide and Seek. We also read The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle and made an egg carton caterpillar, then painted a butterfly. She loves structured activities. I've got to be deliberate about doing them more often.

4. We got our taxes done on Thursday. Thanks to having a baby last year and not claiming self-employment income for the first time in our marriage, we are bringing home more than we ever have before. Justin and I were both speechless when we saw the number. It's enough to pay off all our credit card debt and have some left over to stick in the savings!! Thank you, Lord!!!

5. This weekend was our much-anticipated get away! I've been looking forward to it for weeks, but of course the day before we left, I started to get really anxious about leaving the girls. It's not that I worry they won't be well cared for. I don't even really worry that they'll miss me. Mostly, I just miss them. And I'm worried that we're going to crash and die and leave them orphans. Logically, I know that even if that did happen, they have scads of family who would swoop in to raise them and care for them as well as I ever would. But I want to be their mom. I want them to grow up with me. How selfish is that? 

6. Anyway, the first stop of our adventure was Ikea. I've been on a major organization kick and wanted some cheap boxes and bins. I know I didn't have to go all the way to Ikea for that, but I love browsing. We were there for 2 hours and spent more money than we should have, but not nearly as much as we could have. Haha. We also tried the infamous Swedish meatballs for the first time. Yummy, but not as impressive as I expected. 
That little truffle thing was ahhhhmazing!
We stayed at a really nice hotel and enjoyed the cable TV and peace and quiet. I also enjoyed this enormous cookie:
I went down to the front desk in my pajamas at 11 pm to buy this. The guy even warmed it up for me. That's service. :-)
We stayed up til 1:30 am just because we could. Haha. Back in the day, I used to bemoan having to check out by 11:00 am because it cut into my sleeping in time. This morning, we were both wide awake by 9:30 and I felt more well rested than I have in years. Haha. Perspective.

The main reason we chose Auburn Hills for our little getaway was so that Justin could go to Bass Pro Shops. He had an envelope full of gift cards burning a hole in his pocket, so we trekked through the snow this morning and into the world that is Bass Pro . . . for 2 solid hours. I browsed the entire store, sat by a waterfall watching some fish, then finally found a 
camouflage recliner and some cookbooks by "The Pioneer Woman."  Good times were had by all.

The drive home was definitely not a good time. I already struggle with leaving my girls. Bad weather and a long drive did not help my stupid anxiety. I had a pit in my stomach the entire 4 hour drive home. So thankful for Justin's calm and steady demeanor. And his stellar driving skills!


7. My Dr Pepper fast finally ended this weekend. I went a solid 28 days without it. Worst 28 days of my life. ;-) I did not lose a single pound. I did not feel any more energized (despite drinking 50 oz. of water a day). In fact, I'm pretty sure I was more tired than usual. My teeth aren't whiter. And the craving never went away. I'm pretty sure this day was the best day of my life, second only to the birth of my children:

Comments

  1. We did our taxes on Friday... I LOVE tax season! It's ridiculous how much our tax return increases our yearly income. And Nathan IS self employed... I wonder what kind of difference it would make if he wasn't!

    Your getaway sounds great! I happen to love Ikea meatballs, though :)

    Your relationship with Dr. Pepper cracks me up! I swear I think about you every time I drink it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment