The Saturday 7

1. Lucy got this game from one of her friends at her party on Saturday.
It boggles my mind! Every card has exactly one match to another card. They don't have to be in a certain order or anything. Every card has one and only one match to any other card in the deck! There must be some kind of serious mathematical equation that allows for that. Anyway, Lucy loves the game and we play it multiple times a day. I don't mind playing it either, which says a lot for a preschool game. Haha.

2. I spent a couple days this week reading this book:

Justin's grandma loaned it to me like a month ago, with a glowing recommendation. It's way different than the books I usually read. Yes, it was technically Christian fiction, and it had a little bit of romance. But it was mostly a political mystery/thriller about the drug trade in Bolivia. It took me a while to get into it, and it's ridiculously long (over 600 pages), but I eventually got sucked in. I ended up staying up 'til 1 in the morning to finish it. That used to be no big deal, but now that Lena wakes up at 6 am like clockwork every day, 1 is way too late to stay up! Haha.

3. I used to be such an avid reader - especially in high school when I had nothing but time. But now I've discovered that I'm a bad mom when I'm reading. Haha. I don't have the self-control to read when my kids are in bed. Once I start a book, I have to read it all day every day until it's finished - forsaking housework and parenting and anything else that gets in my way. Lucy loves it, though, because she gets to watch scads of TV.

4. I forgot to mention that last week when I went to Lena's Dr appointment I asked about her lack of teeth. The doctor was actually pretty surprised that she only has two and checked to make sure she didn't have an obstruction or any other reason her teeth weren't coming through. She declared her fine, though, and this week a third tooth finally popped through! Her top right. I thought Lucy was a late teether, but she was nothing like this! Lena turned 16 months yesterday and now has 3 teeth. Haha.

5. We spent a lot of time of time outside this week, and it became apparent to me that it might be a long summer. Lena wants to be outside 24/7. She cries every time we get in the car because she wanted to stay outside. And then there's Lucy, who loves to be outside as long as the wind is calm. The second it kicks up, though, she runs to the door screaming for me to pick up everything that might blow away and insisting we go inside immediately. You can imagine how much Lena appreciates that. Sigh. My poor, poor anxious child. I seriously don't know what to do with her. Here's a few cute pictures from some of the time we did get to spend outside this week:
Lena with her baby.


Lena in her ridiculous jumpsuit. I can't decide if it's ugly or awesome. Haha.

6. A few weeks ago, I spotted a Groupon for a local yoga studio. I've been wanting to try yoga for a long time, thinking it might help repair the damage pregnancy did to my core. So I bought the Groupon and talked my friend Kelly into going with me so I didn't have to do it alone. We did our first class this week. I was really nervous that the class would be full of skinny 20 year olds in Spandex doing incredibly difficult moves. So I was relieved when we showed up to a class with 3 women in their 50s and 60s. The class was fun! It was difficult, but not unbearably so. I was worried I'd be tipping over and laying on the floor gasping for breath, but I could do pretty much everything and managed the one hour class without dying. Success! Of course, I was unconscionably sore for a few days afterward, but that just means it's working, right?

7. Here are a couple of the articles I read this week:

The Day I Lost my Smile by Lisa Terkeurst - I don't have kids in school yet, but I loved the reminder that all moms feel overwhelmed and imperfect at times and we need to be encouraging each other. I'm so grateful for my group of girlfriends that I can commiserate with, but who also give me practical advice and encouragement.

The Only Way to Love Sinners - This is a short one, and likely pretty controversial. But it hit on something I've been thinking a lot about lately: the story of the woman caught in adultery. So often, the part we hear quoted from that story is, "He who is without sin cast the first stone." Yes, it's important to remember that we're all sinners and no one sin is worse than another. But the part left out of the story is Jesus' admonition to the woman to "Go and sin no more." We can't just accept that we're all sinners and leave it at that. I feel like so often we're told "Don't judge! You're just as bad as me! We're all sinners!" We have to rejoice in the fact that we don't have to be stuck in our sin, thanks to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, and do our best to live lives of repentance and gratitude.

Well we're off for a weekend of Memorial Day fun. We're going to a family friend's cottage today, and it's not like the old days where I grabbed a swimsuit and magazine and headed out the door. I have to pack diapers and toys and food and pack n' plays and changes of clothes. So I better get to work! Have a great weekend, everyone!

Comments

  1. Yay our gift made the Saturday 7! :) I'm glad she likes it (and I'm glad you don't mind it either :) -- we have the regular, adult version, and even with that one Abby has fun looking for matches. Rocky said one day he was going to write a blog post about how the one single match thing works, but he hasn't done it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment