The Saturday 7

1. I had this thought recently: why are tiny houses trendy and hip when the original tiny house (mobile home) is considered white trash? (Sorry if you live in a mobile home. I think they're awesome.)

2. We had a strange week of sleep (which probably contributes to random thoughts such as the one above). Levi started sleeping through the night! But Lena stopped. I usually feed Levi for the last time between 8 and 10, then he sleeps 'til between 4 and 6. I call that sleeping through the night! Woohoo! Lena, however, has randomly been waking up around 1:00 and freaking out. She pulls out all her stalling tactics (I need my blanket on, turn my CD on, rub my back, I just wanted to tell you I love you), and when I've had enough and tell her to go back to sleep she screams bloody murder. A few times this week, I finally just turned off the monitor and went to sleep while she screamed. She can climb out of her crib, but she doesn't. And that is why she's still in the crib at 3 years old. Haha.

3. I forgot to share one of my favorite new recipes. After Levi was born my wonderful sister arranged for us to get meals delivered for a solid week. One of the meals came from our friend Amy. It was cheesy chicken and rice casserole with a crescent roll topping. And it was delicious. I finally got the recipe from her and made it myself. So easy and so yummy (but not real waistline-friendly. lol).

Amy's Chicken and Rice Casserole
Cook 2 cups of rice
Cook and shred chicken breasts
Mix the following:
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 pkg. Shredded cheese

Add cheese mixture to chicken
Layer rice on bottom of 9x13 pan
Cover with cheesy chicken mix
Top with crescent roll dough


Bake @ 350* for 30-40 min.

4. Lucy only has 3 more days of Kindergarten! Yesterday was Field Day. It was a gorgeous day, so I packed up the little L's and we went to watch. Lucy enjoyed the first couple of events, refused to do the 3 in the middle, and then was bribed to do the last one. Haha.
Tug of War
Water break with Addy
I was smart and brought an umbrella to shade Levi. Contrary to this picture's depiction, he actually really enjoyed it and loved being outside. Haha.

5. Today we went to "the cottage." It belongs to friends of Justin's parents, but they generously allow us to go up and enjoy it throughout the summer. Today, Justin helped put the dock in. The girls swam in the icy water. They all fished. And Levi and I chilled in the shade.



Levi's lake outfit. 
Lena's lake outfit. Haha.
6. Ok, here's this week's theological point: I came across this article this week. It's called "Jeremiah 29:11 is not about you!" I've always been a little annoyed with how people latch on to that verse, because I feel like it's taken out of context.
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
The author of the article argues that Jeremiah was writing to a specific people about a specific time - the Israelites in Babylonian captivity. God's promise for hope and a good future in 29:11 was specifically for them. Then I saw this on facebook:
Lol
Part of me feels validated by the article and thinks it's kind of ridiculous that people claim that verse for themselves. But then I worry that some of my other favorite Bible verses could also be taken out of context. I actually love the verse in Jeremiah that comes just 2 verses later. 29:13 says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart."

I think what bothers me the most about the Jeremiah 29:11 crowd is that it tends to be used to propagate the prosperity gospel. People like to think God only has good for them and their future as a Christian should be rosy and light. No one is getting 2 Timothy 3:12 tattooed on themselves. Certainly, God's overall plan is good. He is good. His purposes are good. But the process is almost always painful.

7. Anyway . . . here are some pictures from this week:

Grandma wants updated pictures for her wall. This is the first one I snapped of Lucy:

And then there's Lena:
Lol
Levi wearing a big-boy outfit! 



Snuggles on the deck while the girls played outside.
More fun with snapchat.


Comments