The 10 Commandments

Today we read the story of Moses getting the law in Lucy's children's Bible, highlighting the 10 Commandments. We talked about how God gives us rules to keep us safe and to help us love others. And then we did a little craft.

I cut out two "stone tablets" from cardstock and we painted them gray. 

Then I printed off and cut out the ten commandments. (Some of the wording was inspired by this. The rest was inspired by my brain.)

Lucy and I briefly discussed the meaning of the commandments as best as I figured a 3 year old could understand. Haha. I scattered them around the table and had Lucy arrange them from numbers 1 through 10. Then we glued them on the tablets.
Lucy did all the gluing. I don't know why she did them so carefully on the first one and so wonky on the second. Haha.
*Funny sidenote you've already seen if you're my friend on facebook: A few hours after doing this craft Lucy said, "Mommy, are the iPads dry?" I was so confused until she clarified, "You know, the iPads with God's rules on them." Hahaha. Tablet confusion.*

After finishing Moses' stone tablets, we decided to make our own set of rules. My friend Kelly did this with her daughter, and I loved the idea of having concrete rules and subsequent consequences for breaking the rules. Here's what we ended up with:
I realize it looks like she gets the consequence for doing the rule. "Be nice and get a time out." Haha. She can't read. She doesn't know. 

After I did my rules, Lucy wanted to make some of her own. She insisted on writing the first one all by herself. I wrote it down for her to copy. (She made it up, too. I really don't forbid fear.)
She copied the way I wrote "Rules" with dots between each letter on my poster (she combined the L and E), wrote the first rule all by herself, then she made up the second rule, but wanted me to write it. 

Our verse for the week is "Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right." (Ephesians 6:1) 

Comments