The Sunday 7

1. Well, friends, here we are again. Still sheltering at home with no end in sight . . . at least for the kids and me. Justin is going back to work tomorrow. The governor has OK-ed construction, starting May 7, but Justin's employer got a special exemption for a job they're doing this week that will last through the 7th. I'm very sad that he'll be gone all day (and so is he - haha). It's been so nice to have someone else around to help with the kids, to have an adult to talk to, and just to hang out together in a way that a full-time work schedule doesn't afford. Adulting is the worst. But we are thankful that he has a steady job and is able to return to it before many other businesses are opening.

2. I'm starting to despair of life going back to normal anytime soon. There's been much talk of "easing into" regular life, and relaxing restrictions in phases. So outside work like construction and landscaping has been approved. Retail businesses are allowed to serve customers "curbside." But what about the jobs that require a lot more physical contact? Will we be able to get our hair cut anytime soon? What about our regular dental checkups? Even doctor's visits. Levi and Lucy both had well child appointments scheduled in the last few months and they've been cancelled. Lucy's dietitian appointment was cancelled. What about crowds? Will we be allowed to gather with more than 5 people anytime soon? Church? Originally, we assumed it'd be a few weeks without meeting. I think we're up to 7 now, and again, no end in sight. What about school? Please, please, tell me there will be school in the fall. Like, actually at school. Although we just got our payment plan for next year's tuition, and it's not pretty. 🤦💸💸

3. So I was wrong about watching Ruby four days a week last week. My brother and I aren't the best communicators apparently. Lol. I only had her two days last week, but will have her four days this week. She's such an easy kid, and sometimes I feel guilty that I'm getting paid for watching her - especially since the girls are home and do so much of the entertaining! It's been a blast hanging out with her again. And now I can inundate y'all with Ruby pics again!

She looooves sticking her fingers in the holes of the Very Hungry Caterpillar book

(I would also really like the world to open up so I can get Lena back in gymnastics classes. The girl has some crazy natural talent.)

4. Over the past year, I've come to rely on Instacart for all my grocery shopping. But during this crazy time, grocery delivery is a whole new beast. The wait times are unreliable ("Your order will be delivered sometime between now and next Thursday") and stock is low. I have to "choose replacements" for every single item so my shopper knows what to get in case the thing I originally chose is out of stock. It's such a hassle that I've just been going to the grocery store myself like in the olden days (having Justin home so I don't have to bring the kids is also a major deciding factor). But grocery shopping these days is quite a dystopian experience. When our governor extended the stay-home order last week, she tacked on a "mandate" that masks must be worn in public places (although there's no penalty for not wearing one, so I use the word "mandate" loosely). I don't have any of those cute homemade masks, and I certainly don't possess the skills (or materials) to make them myself, so when I decided to go to Meijer this week, I tried a plethora of options. First, I wrapped a scarf around my head like a Burkha, but that just made me hot. Then I found a handkerchief of Justin's, but it wouldn't stay over my nose. Finally, I ended up with this:
First of all, I hate the word gaiter. It reminds me of "goiter." Secondly, covering the lower half of my face only serves to highlight my ginormous eyebrows. Thirdly, I hated wearing that thing. It was an extremely claustrophobic experience that made me feel like I was suffocating. (#checkmyprivilege, I know)
I kept the mask on through the produce section, but then noticed that many other people were shopping without their masks, so I joined them. #sorrynotsorry


The other dystopian feeling while shopping is shelves being so empty of certain staples. Who knew spiral macaroni was a staple? (Don't worry - Niki to the rescue! She gave me some from her pantry stash.)  The things that have been consistently gone at the store (for the sake of recording history): toilet paper (we're down to our last 6 rolls, and I'm actually going to have to try to find some for the first time during quarantine!), hand sanitizer and hand soap, meat (particularly ground beef and frozen chicken), flour, ramen noodles, peanut butter, and skim milk. The ramen noodles crack me up. Are people stocking up for Doomsday prep? Because they're cheap, only require water, and last forever? 

5. It's seriously a strange time to be alive. The division between people is startling and saddening - even in the church. As I said to my sisters earlier this week, "I'm sure Satan is really sad that the church is disagreeing so much about this issue." Social media compounds the division. Everyone is an expert. People are outraged and fearful. I've seen posts about the anti-christ, end times, mark of the beast, declarations that we're becoming a police state, frantic grasping of rights and freedom, people predicting a "Hunger-Games-esque" reality in the near future, people calling for conservatives to check their privilege, etc., etc., etc. It's hard to know what (and who) to believe. I personally believe in avoiding conflict at all costs (my belief may or may not be healthy and/or right), so it makes sense to me just to obey the rules (other than wearing a mask, apparently - lol), to wait it out quietly, to trust our leaders. But that's easy for me to say in my position. Even when Justin was off work, we were making more from unemployment than we were while he worked full-time. My livelihood has not been threatened. As usual, I can see and empathize with both sides of the issue. And the conflict between each only serves to depress and stress me out! Despite it all, God is sovereign. I know that sounds trite, but it's true, and comforting in its truth. It's not up to me to know the answers. Thank goodness!

6. I've been thankful for some beautiful weather during these monotonous days. The past few days have been absolutely gorgeous. 

On Friday, our local ice cream shops opened up (while observing stringent disinfecting regimens and social distancing mandates, of course). One of them is within walking distance of our house. Justin was tinkering with his boat, and Lucy was pouting in her room about something (#parforthecourse), but Levi, Lena, and I went gladly.


Yesterday, Justin took Levi fishing for a couple hours. Lena and I did a craft . . .
 Then we sat outside on the deck reading our respective books. (I'll give you one guess where Lucy was during all this.)
I actually got a little sunburned! I forgot that's a thing!
That night, we went for a family boat ride. I didn't want to go. I relished the idea of sitting in an empty house all by myself for the first time in months, but Justin talked me into it, and we had a nice time . . . even if the whole thing ramps up my anxiety (and Lena's.)
Lena was thrilled at the idea of riding in the boat, but once it was in the water, she was suddenly terrified (#theappledoesntfallfar). You can tell she's been crying in this pic as we first got started.

Lucy had no such qualms.

Photography by Lucy (and Lena starting to get more comfortable) 

Peaceful and beautiful

With our brave and steady captain

The reality. One arm wrapped around Lena who finally calmed down as long as I didn't let go of her, one hand secured around Levi's life jacket because he doesn't understand depth perception and frequently leans over the edge to touch the water. Haha. And my back killing me from sitting on a backless bench. #oldlady #motherhood
7. And now for a few more pictures:
One day this week, Levi decided he wanted to set the table "with that covering thing" - aka tablecloth. He dug out a beautiful Christmas tablecloth, then proceeded to find some Valentine's Day napkins, and then the girls took over from there. They created a menu, called Justin and me to the table, and served us delicacies. 

We're refinancing our house while rates are so low (and saving over a point in interest!), so I cleaned more intensely than usual this week for the appraiser. 
And now, a few jokes at my neighbors' expense, from our local facebook communication's page.



Today, Lena and Levi put the sprinkler under the trampoline. Of course, it's only 65 degrees and the water is freezing, so Lena's hands got cold quickly. Easy solution: winter gloves. Lol.

I don't even know what she's doing here.

Realizing I'm taking her picture.
Happy Sunday, friends. May your week be filled with sunshine, restfulness, and joy! And may we all meet again in person again soon!


Comments