The Saturday 7ish

Another crazy week - that's May for you. My calendar's bursting with school events, birthdays, and soccer. I'm so thankful I only have one kid playing sports. My hat's off to all of you juggling multiple schedules! 

1. We started the week off with sickness. I wrote last week that Levi wasn't feeling well. I thought he was on the upswing by Sunday, but Monday morning, he was wailing about his belly and had a slight fever so I knew I shouldn't send him to school. My hat's also off to working moms everywhere who have to handle last minute illnesses like this. I wanted to say, "C'mon, kid. I work one day a week. You couldn't have been sick on a Tuesday or Wednesday?" I knew my sisters wouldn't want their kids exposed, so I called my mom. Both her and my dad's phones weren't working though. So I dropped the girls off at school, then zoomed to my parents' house and literally stood on their doorstep holding Levi's backpack in one hand and his puke bucket in the other and knocked on their door until they got out of bed. Haha. Thank goodness for grandparents who live a mile from school that are so willing to take on sick kids! I was only three minutes late for work. Whew! 

2. Levi was still having diarrhea on Wednesday so he missed another day of school, but he was back to his old self by Thursday so we could go on his zoo field trip. It was a gorgeous day and we had a great time. 


Apparently bear-phobia isn't hereditary! 


3. Then Friday morning was "Mother's Tea" with Levi's class. His sweet teachers plan this adorable event for all the moms. The kids made the centerpieces, served us food, and then performed some songs and "what I love about mom" stuff, and the teacher read a couple poems/books. 90% of the moms were crying within the first 10 seconds, but I never even felt choked up. Haha. I can appreciate that it's adorable, and the kids are so cute, but it doesn't in any way make me cry. #hardhearted #wellmedicated 

Singing


4. I tried something new this week: EveryPlate (referral link). It's one of those meal kit delivery services like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron, but the cheapest version I could find. I'm trying to expand my dinner repertoire, but I hate buying new spices or condiments for recipes I'm going to try once only to never use again. I was also hoping having something pre-portioned and planned out would make cooking less of a chore, but I still hated it just as much. Actually, I might have hated it more. Haha. The meals were fine. Nothing special. But they were so much work. I don't usually cook with a lot of vegetables or seasonings or things that require chopping or sautéing. But maybe that's why my meals are so bland and boring. I was determined to give it a try, to follow the recipes exactly as written, to use the weird spices and ingredients I usually skip. It didn't help. If anything it just made me realize how picky I am. I didn't like the pork chops because they were in some kind of "Tuscan blend" that had way too much basil. And I didn't like the sesame ginger meatballs because apparently I don't like ginger or sesame! I wonder where my kids get their pickiness from . . . I also hated the pressure of having to cook every single night. I paid for all this food that will go to waste, but I hate cooking it. Next time, I'm going to get the meal delivery kit that comes with a chef. Think that's in my price range?

5. I just spent an hour chronicling my thoughts about the Supreme Court Roe v. Wade leak, but it became a post of its own. So you can check that out here and I'll finish this post with a few pictures. 

Working on his first big school project!

Lena made this "reading corner" then helped Levi read a book. 




Happy Mother's Day to the moms like me who set off the smoke alarm when they cook!

Comments