1 Year Update!!!

This post is so daunting.  I don't even know where to begin.

My baby girl is one year old.  She had an exciting birthday today.  I woke her up this morning by singing "Happy Birthday," she got a cute puppy and outfit from Chase and Lyla, she got to have her favorite food for lunch (grilled cheese), then she got to open one present from us (a baby doll), and finished the evening off with Olive Garden! Oh, and she got lots of happy birthday wishes on facebook!  Lucky girl!

So here's what she's up to lately:

Walking
She's really mastering her balance and takes very controlled steps.  She has yet to take more than 4, but it's SO adorable to watch.  I really need to be a better mom and take a video of it.  She gets the hugest grin on her face and loves all the cheering and attention.

Talking
She officially has 2 words: "bye" and "hi" - complete with wave.  She only whispers "hi."  Haha.  And she says "buh-bye" so sweet and softly.  She says "mama" a ton, but I'm still not 100% sure she knows what it means. I'd say she really mastered those words in the past week.

Teeth
She has her two bottom teeth.  They're still pretty small, but adorable! I don't see anymore coming in anytime too soon.

Games
She does patty-cake (just the clapping part - haha), "Wheels on the Bus" (kind of), and peek-a-boo.  She loves to point and wave at everything and everyone.  Her new favorite thing is dropping things and waving bye-bye to them.  When she's in her high chair, she throws food on the floor, then leans over the side and waves to it.  When I'm changing her diaper on the changing table, she throws her pants on the floor and waves, saying "buh-bye."  Haha.  So cute.  She's actually starting to sort less!! But she still loves that lunchbox, and anything else she can open and close.

Reading
She actually really enjoys reading books - but on her own terms.  She makes it through about 2 pages of one book, then has to switch to another one.  Then she goes back to the first one, then pulls out a third.  Over and over.  And she doesn't like to sit on my lap while reading.  :-(  But at least she's getting better!

Weaning
The weaning has gone amazingly well.  I gave up the morning feeding 2 weeks ago and was really in pain for a few days.  But I nursed her for the last time on Sunday and haven't felt a twinge! Woohoo! It was a little bit more painful emotionally, though.  I got a little choked up while I was nursing her for the last time on Sunday.  And since then, bedtime has been hard on both of us.  I'm so used to snuggling her, singing our songs and saying our prayers right before bed.  But if I'm not nursing her, she won't snuggle with me.  :-(  And she's really been crying at night when we put her to bed.  I don't know if that's related to not nursing or if she's just starting to resist bedtime (because she's been crying at naptime, too - which is uncharacteristic of her), but it's sad nonetheless.

Eating
We haven't been too adventurous lately.  She tried mango for the first time this week - liked it.  And she actually ate a few pieces of broccoli at dinner last night - her veggie consumption is still sporadic.  She really hasn't been too interested in milk and barely drinks half a cup a day.  But today (for her birthday), I put extra chocolate in it and she guzzled it right down.  Which is worse - no milk or milk full of chocolate?? Haha.

I feel like there's so much I have to say, but it's already my bedtime, so I'll wrap this up.  She is the best thing that ever happened to me.  I still get emotional when I think about the day she was born.  It was so amazing and this past year has been the best one of my life.  I love waking up to her sweet face every day, hearing that little giggle when I tickle her, kissing that precious little face, stroking her soft baby hair, and watching her sleep so peacefully.  Again, I have to focus on what our future holds together instead of being sad about all the lasts.  I can't wait to hear her say, "I love you, Mama," or watch her walk around the room or see her playing basketball with Justin in the driveway.

Happy Birthday, Sweet Lucy.  I love you with all of my heart.

Comments

  1. I'm such a mom... that last line just about made me cry :P What a sap.

    I'm going to refrain from commenting on every single section of this post and just say HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LUCY! She is so beautiful and sounds like such a joy and a sweetie. I am so happy for you that she's brought you so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Happy birthday Lucy!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment