Lucy Update - 18ish Months

I haven't done a Lucy update in forever! Here's a late 18 month update. It's just going to be random bullet points as things come to me. And it's going to be long.


  • She loves nakedness. Lol. Anytime she's naked or I'm changing my clothes or Justin is walking around shirtless or she sees people in swimsuits on TV or anything she gets a huge smile on her face and says "Nay-nay!" She always says it in kind of a sing-song voice. Cracks me up.
  • She is such a girly-girl. I really think it's innate in her because she doesn't see me modeling girly behavior very often. Haha. She is obsessed with shoes - hers, mine, anyones. She loves purses and necklaces and accessories. Her new thing is make-up. Aunt Libby beautified her once, and every time Lucy sees her now, she demands to play with her make-up. I gave her a tube of chapstick the other day and she rubs it all over her face - and mine - so gently. It's adorable. 
  • I think I wrote in my last entry that she's recently fallen in love with Elmo. We have one Sesame Street video, and she makes me fast forward through all the parts that don't have Elmo in them. I found a couple Elmo books at the library book sale for 25 cents each. I was going to save them for Christmas, but she saw me buy them and she's hardly put them down since then. She just flips through every page and points to Elmo with a big smile on her face. :-)
  • She's still a very nervous child. I gave her a bubble bath the other day and she was absolutely terrified of the bubbles. Haha. Last night, after Lucy was in bed, Justin and I rearranged our furniture to make room for the Christmas tree. When she got up this morning, she stood in one spot pointing at the furniture and crying! Apparently she doesn't like change.
  • She definitely thrives on routine. She has a bed time routine, a "getting in the car" routine, a bath time routine, and an eating routine. She's even in tune to my routines. While she eats her breakfast in the morning, I make my coffee then sit down to read my Bible. If I'm lollygagging or differentiating from the routine, she yells at me and points to my Bible. (Keeps me accountable!) If I forget to hang up my coat when I got home, she freaks out, etc., etc. She gets the routine thing from me. That was part of my anxiety when she was first born - we didn't have a predictable schedule yet and I was going crazy!
  • She has a little of her dad in her too, though. She is so OCD. Haha. She's obsessed with picking up every tiny piece of lint or paper she finds and throwing it in the trash. And she still loves taking things in and out of boxes, bags, and buckets. Anytime I need a minute alone, I pull out the buttons and cups/bowls. She can seriously spend 20-30 minutes at a time taking them in and out, in and out, in and out!
  • Here are the words she knows, whether or not she actually uses them: uh-oh, all done, hi, bye, kitty, naked (nay-nay), cheese, Chase, juice, shoes, yeah, amen, please (new one! she just kind of says "neeee"), mama (although she very rarely says it) . . . I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Mostly she just says eesh, eh, and yeah. 
  • She does motions to "Wheels on the Bus," "Itsy Bitsy Spider," "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," and "If You're Happy and You Know It." And she's getting better about letting me sing to her.
  • She likes to read books - but still on her own terms. She will not sit on my lap, and she has to turn the pages at her speed - usually very fast.
  • She's always brushing her hair out of her face, which I think is so cute.
  • She does this motion with her fingers that means "Come with me, right now."
  • She's really starting to get an attitude and exert her naughtiness. Haha. One day this week, I took her binky away and she absolutely lost her mind. I've really been trying to enforce binky only at bed time and in the car, but she doesn't appreciate it. Anyway, that one day she would not stop screaming. I tried putting her in her room, but she just ran after me screaming hysterically. I tried setting her in a time out chair, but she just jumped down and screamed even more hysterically. (I know a lot of you think she's too young for time out. I disagree. ;-)) Finally she just stood in the kitchen screaming and I ignored her until she stopped. I really need to pick one discipline method and stick with it. I'm amazed at how ambivalent I am. 
  • Most of the time, though, she's an absolute joy. I could write forever about all the fun things she's into, all her cute little expressions, and strange quirks. I love being with her all the time, and miss her if I'm away from her for more than a few hours. When she was sick last week, she let me rock her before bedtime and I absolutely soaked it in. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - she is the best thing that ever happened to me. :-)

Comments

  1. Ahh, I want to meet this child! She is SO different from Orion... if he gets ahold of chapstick he eats it. If he has anything like buttons he throws them all over the room. Haha. he's absolutely a boy... it's totally innate (he is obsessed with cars/trucks/transportation... we did NOT teach him that!).

    It's hilarious that she makes you read your Bible and hang up your coat, and that she cleans your floors... ha! She'll be a good mama herself one day :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, that little story about her crying about the moved furniture made me laugh out loud. :) They're growing up so fast, I can't believe how much Abby understands and plays and tries to communicate. I'm excited to get the girls together again this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment