The Saturday 7

Sorry I'm late today. It has been a long, exhausting few days.

1. I had the whole week off which was absolutely fabulous. I got lots done around my house, and it was nice for Lucy to be able to sleep in and take it easy while she was so sick. In the past couple of days, she's definitely turned a corner. She's almost totally back to her happy self. Thank the Lord!

2. I wrote in my last post that I'd been letting her watch a lot of movies while she was sick. Well her new favorite is the Elmo movie. She's absolutely obsessed. I got a flyer in the mail for some toy with Elmo on it, and she carried the flyer around the house singing "La la la" (Elmo's song). So cute. But I'm going to need to buy her another Elmo movie because I'm already getting really sick of the one we have. Haha.

3. We had a very nice Thanksgiving. We rotate every other year between our families and this year was the VanderKoddes. The extended family is so big that we have to rent out a building to fit all of us. We had it at Kuyper College this year, and had a great time stuffing our faces, playing cards and basketball, etc. I love Justin's family. :-)

4. Oh, Lucy picked up another word this week: Yuck. Every day, while she's in the bathroom with me getting ready she tries to play with the plunger or the trash or the toilet, so I say "No no - that's yuck" about a thousand times a day. I must really enunciate the "ck" part at the end (the Dutch coming out in me) because that's all she says. "Ck!" Haha.

5. Ok. Are you ready for the Black Friday recap? :-) This year was ridiculous because most of the stores opened at midnight or earlier, but some of the stores we wanted to hit didn't open 'til 6 - so we had to stay out all night! Thursday night after Thanskgiving dinner, we headed to Wal-Mart to get in line. At least Wal-Mart is open 24 hours, so we could stand inside, but it was absolute madness. There are pallets wrapped in shrink wrap in the middle of the aisles. Everyone crowds around the pallets until 10:00 when someone comes by to rip off the shrink wrap, then all hell breaks loose! Libby and I wanted a Ninja blender and a $3 waffle maker. I seriously thought we were going to get trampled. It was actually kind of scary! Haha. But I used my sweet skills, climbed up on the pallet and started tossing waffle makers back to people until security made me get down. Haha. [Security being an old lady in a wal-mart vest. Haha.] But we got everything we wanted, so it was worth it!

After Wal-Mart, we headed to Toys R Us. They made us stand outside in a line even though they were already open because they didn't want their store to "exceed capacity." We stood in line for half an hour, and by the time we got inside they were sold out of everything I wanted. From there we hit Kohl's then headed to Target. We all got little things at Target, so we hid them in aisle E12 and went back for them later. :-)

At that point, we had some time to kill before the next stores opened so we went to IHOP - they were woefully unprepared for the onslaught of people who had the same idea as us. We got there at 1:10 am and left at 3. And our food was totally cold. Ridiculous!

We finished out with Meijer, Wal-Mart again, Family Christian, and Menards - the worst ever. My mom bought a Eden Pure type heater and I got a $58 ladder that Justin really wanted. But we got in the slowest possible line. We literally stood in line for 2 hours. By this time, we had been awake for 24 hours, and I seriously thought I was going to lose my mind. I just wanted to lay down and cry because I wanted to get out of there so bad!!!!!

I finally got home at 9 am, slept from 9:30 - 4:30, and fell right back to sleep at 11:00 last night! Craziness! Everyone always asks if it's worth it to get a couple deals for the sleep deprivation and crazy shoppers. It really was fun until about 6 am when we got in line at Menards. Haha. People are so much nicer than you'd think. You make friends with people in line and help each other out when you can. And I just love the time with my mom and sisters. We figured we've been doing this for 10 years, and we have no plans to stop. :-)

6. This morning I worked at the Dollar Store. My sisters and I always work the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's kind of comical because none of us work there any other time during the year, so we have no idea where anything is or how much anything costs. Ha! Justin brought Lucy to me at 2:00 and we headed out to Grandville for a birthday party for my friend Kristy's son Jeremy. It was such a cute Mickey Mouse party!

But now I am absolutely exhausted and my feet are killing me. I'm going to go beg Justin to give me a foot massage and go to bed early!

Ok, I'm going to stop at 6 today since this is so long. Thanks if you made it to the end! :-) Have a great week!

Comments

  1. You know, I've never gone Black Friday shopping. I actually considered it this year, we were with family in Grandville until almost 10pm and I could have stayed with them, but I was already so tired and when we got out to Rivertown and onto 196 and I saw the LINE OF CARS waiting to get into Walmart (a mile down the road), I'm glad I decided against it. ;) Maybe another year! I guess I've worked it for so many years (Family Christian) that I enjoy sleeping in on Friday and shopping online instead... :) Glad you had fun though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment