The Saturday 7

1. Lucy turned 18 months last week. I forgot to mention it in my last Saturday 7. By the time I was 18 months old, I was speaking in full sentences, so it's kind of odd to me that Lucy barely speaks. However, she communicates very effectively without words. Haha. She has her own little sign language that I have become very adept at interpreting. She nods and shakes her head for "yes" and "no." (Usually "no." Haha.) Her new thing is shrugging her shoulders to mean "I don't know" or "Where is it?" It's adorable.

My favorite, though, is that she shakes her finger at Lola if she's being naughty. If ever Lola swipes at Lucy or climbs on the table or runs outside when I open the door, Lucy shakes her finger at her to say "Naughty kitty!" Haha. The other day, I stood on the couch to put something on a shelf and Lucy started shaking her finger at me! Naughty mommy. Haha.

2. Lyla (the girl I babysit - I know all these "L" names are confusing) was sick all week. She has a nasty cough, fever, the works. I tried to keep Lucy away from her, but it was pretty inevitable that she'd get it too. Sure enough she started coughing yesterday and I could tell she was super congested. Today she is absolutely miserable. It breaks my heart. She coughs really hard and deep, then cries afterward because it hurts her throat so much. :-( I hate that I can't give her anything! I've been giving her ibuprofen to bring down her fever and soothe her sore throat, but there's not much I can do beyond that. :-( So I'm just going to baby her today. I'm letting her have her binky all day and watch as many movies as she wants.

3. Here's a shorter one: I checked out the Black Friday ads online this week. I wasn't sure I was going to go this year since we're not really buying Christmas presents. But I found a few things I want for Lucy, and I need to find something for Lyla. Plus, most of the stores are opening at midnight this year, so we can be done shopping in the middle of the night and go home and go to bed! Haha.

4. I mentioned before that I'm reading Acts right now for my devotions. This week I read Acts 6. I've still been struggling with Radical's insistence that we go out into the world to spread the gospel, so it was interesting to come across this passage. You can look it up yourself to read the exact wording, but it talked about how the first disciples were so busy helping the sick and needy among them that they didn't have time to go out into the world. Their solution wasn't to stop serving the sick and needy, but to take a select few who they thought were most qualified to spread the gospel. While I don't want to limit God's work in my life, at this point in my spiritual walk, I don't feel like I am one of those "most qualified." Certainly, God can work through me, and can give me the words to say. (Look at Moses) But I don't feel called to do that, and this passage kind of showed me that I don't have to. Another disclaimer: I know that doesn't mean I'm exempt from spreading the gospel at all. I definitely need to be doing a better job of sharing it in my own community. But I feel slightly less guilty about my reticence to go "out into the world."

That said, Acts 6 also convicted me to be doing more to help the hurting in my community. If I'm not going to be a missionary abroad, I need to be serving at home. I've been thinking about volunteering at Alpha Women's Center. Do you think I can just call them up and say "Hey, I want to volunteer. Do you need me?"

Wow I'm long winded today . . .

5. I have all of next week off. Woohoo! I was thinking I should take a room of my house and deep clean it every day. Then I remembered I have an 18 month old. Haha. Hopefully she'll take some good naps and I'll be motivated during nap time.

6. I broke out the Christmas music this week! It's been cold and snowy, and I'm dreading winter with every fiber of my being, so I figured I could at least enjoy some Christmas music. I say this every year, but why limit my enjoyment of Christmas music to one month? None of this waiting 'til after Thanksgiving for me!

7. I watched Snow White with Lyla yesterday. Beth gave me strict instructions to watch it while Chase is at school because he's terrified of it! Haha. But after watching it again for the first time in years, I understand why! It's crazy how different society is now than it was when that movie was made. (The 30s?) The stuff in there would never fly in a kid's movie now.

Ok, there you have it. Have a great weekend, everyone! Pray that Lucy recovers quickly if you think of it. Thanks!

Comments