The Fiery Furnace


Verse: "I will not be afraid. You are with me." Psalm 23:4b 

The week we started this lesson Lucy happened to have gotten some glitter glue from the dollar store. I let her play with the glue while I read the story from her Bible. 

Finished project: golden idol on top, Shad, Mesh, Abed, and the Angel on bottom.

Then we decided to make some crayon melts to illustrate what happens in a hot environment.
I got the idea from this website: You basically just unwrap crayons, put them in a muffin tin, throw them in the oven at 250 degrees and wait a few minutes for them to melt. I had Lucy feel the oven when we put them in and talked about how hot the fiery furnace was and how scared the men must have been. After the crayons were melted, I swirled the liquid with a toothpick and let them set for a few hours to cool. The nice thing about crayons is they shrink as they cool, so I popped the muffin tin in the freezer for a few minutes and they came right out. 

Lena wanted to play with muffin tins too.
Some cups and cheerios kept her entertained for 10 minutes at least. Haha.
Later in the week, we did another fiery furnace craft. I came up with this idea by myself, but it was kind of a flop. Haha. I printed out a picture of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and glued it on one side of a paper. Then I looked up "homemade invisible ink" on Pinterest and drew a picture of an angel next to them.

The angel did not end up being very invisible . . .
The Internet said to use equal parts baking soda and water. As you'll see, it did not work very well. The fun part of this was that you have to activate the invisible ink with something containing citric acid, so we did what the website suggested and used kool-aid!
Lucy was amazed that our "paint" smelled so good and immediately asked to drink it. Haha.

Fail. The angel disappeared instead of being activated by the kool-aid. I don't know what happened!
In theory, this could have been an awesome project, and I still recommend it if you can find a better recipe for invisible ink. I love the idea of the men starting out alone, being covered in "fire" and the angel being revealed!

Lucy adored the kool-aid paint and spent at least an hour mixing the colors and pouring them all over everything.

We finally moved to the bath and I gave her a bunch of styrofoam cups and packages of kool-aid and let her have at it. The bathroom looked a little bit like a crime scene by the time she was finished (red kool-aid probably wasn't the best choice), but it cleaned up easily and wasn't sticky since it didn't have sugar in it. Win!

Check out our Daniel crafts, too!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this! I will definitely do the melted crayon one! I hace a 3-year-old boy and I am sure He will enjoy it! God bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That article almost covers all of the possible factors of HVAC unit fail. Thanks for giving such useful ideas.
    http://www.cosmopolitanmechanical.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment