38 Weeks


Baby is the size of a pumpkin! 

How Far Along? 38 weeks
Total Weight Gain: +1 this week. +28 total - whew, that's more like it! So excited I'm still under 30!
Maternity Clothes? Obv. 
Sleep: I really do sleep amazingly well. I'm going to miss that when I have a newborn . . . 
Best Moment This Week: Lucy is so lovey-dovey with my belly. One night this week, she insisted that the baby needed to listen to some music. She plugged headphones into her tablet then put the headphones over my belly and played "He's Got the Whole in His Hands" over and over. She also gave me a belly massage this week and stopped periodically to put her lips right against my stomach and say, "I love you so much! You're so cute!" It's adorable. 
Movement: Yes. Please see the facebook video.
Food Cravings: Pop, chips, chocolate, cereal
Food Aversions: Nothing. 
GenderIt's a boy!!!!  
Labor Signs: I actually had semi-painful time-able contractions for about 4 hours last night. Then they completely stopped. Grr.
What I Miss: Not being in pain
What I'm Looking Forward To: Revealing his name. I seriously haven't told anyone this time! I'm so proud of myself!
Milestones: I packed my hospital bag. I also got my belly bandit to wear after delivery, put the cover on the carseat, and printed off everything anyone needs to know about Lucy's school - when it starts/ends, what to pack in her lunch, which days she needs to bring gym shoes, show n' tell, etc. We still need to buy a car and install the carseat in it, but I wouldn't complain if he comes early and has to ride home in our old car. :-)

I've started experiencing a couple fun new symptoms this week - namely, heartburn. I had one random episode of heartburn months ago, but nothing since then. I never had any with the girls and they were both hairy monkeys. If the old wives' tale about heartburn=hair is true what does that mean for this baby?!

I've also noticed a few new aches and pains. My upper thighs have really started to hurt. My ribs feel like they're spreading - which makes no sense since he's getting lower and farther away from them. Even my shins hurt lately - probably from carrying around all this extra weight.

And I think my hormones are going a little crazy. I hope that's a sign of labor, but it's probably just a sign of being 38 weeks pregnant. I had some bad depression earlier this week. I've also noticed that my skin is breaking out. One of the perks of pregnancy, for me, is beautifully clear skin. This week, that has disappeared. And my night sweats have all but stopped. (They've been replaced by leaking breast milk/colostrum. Don't remember that with the girls. Gross.)

At my 37 week appointment on Monday, I was only "fingertip" dilated (another disgusting term), and not effaced at all. At my 37 week appointment with Lena, I was 3 cm and 75% effaced. And it still took me 3 more weeks to go into labor. I'm despairing of ever getting this child out of me. Although everyone and their mother has assured me that dilation/effacement means nothing and can change in an instant. I sure hope they're right.

I tried to bounce the baby out using Missy's yoga ball on Wednesday.

It didn't work, and just made my pelvic girdle hurt. It's actually a good thing it didn't work, though, in light of the flu debacle this week. Now that the girls are on the mend, though, there's no reason for him not to come. Well, that's not totally true . . .

Justin has to work in Alpena (4 hours away) tomorrow. And we're allegedly getting a snowstorm on Wednesday:
If you don't know where we live on this map, you don't need to know. ;-)
We live 30 minutes from the hospital in good weather, our road never gets plowed, and we don't drive very snow-worthy vehicles. I'm slightly freaking out, but mostly telling myself not to borrow trouble. I still have no reason to think I'll go early, and the meteorologists could be completely wrong this far in advance. The forecast will probably totally change in the next few days.

But I'd really like to have this baby in the hospital . . . with an epidural . . .


Comments