The Saturday 7


1. My birthday is in 4 days. It snuck up on me this year. I'm actually not even that excited. 33. That's dangerously close to 40. And it's all downhill from there. I told Justin I want a house for my birthday, so I'm not expecting much in the way of gifts. And I feel like we shouldn't even spend money on fast food like I usually do the week of my birthday. Adulting, man. It's the worst.

2. Speaking of annoying adult problems . . . the house inspection this week was pretty disappointing. The furnace has serious problems - to the point that it is dangerous to operate. There's a ventilation problem in the attic. The hot water heater was installed incorrectly. And there aren't enough heating vents - like none in the dining room or kitchen - which is pretty much one side of the house. We're in the process of getting quotes for the furnace and attic, and we intend to ask the sellers to cover those expenses. Their realtor says they are going to be cooperative. But running new ductwork to the kitchen/dining room and installing vents isn't going to be cheap either. If we don't do it, though, will I freeze all winter? Will our heating bills be through the roof? I thought this house was an answer to our prayers, but now I'm not sure anymore. And the indecision is so frustrating and depressing. I've been having some major depression issues. I just want to sleep all day every day.

3. In less morose news, we had fun learning about Canada and nests this week (both girls' curricula - they don't actually have anything to do with each other). Something I'm loving about My Father's World is that they always manage to work in snacks that relate to the curriculum. This week, Lena and I made edible nests (no-bake cookies), and next week we'll be trying poutine, coffee crisps, and nanaimo bars.

Marshmallow eggs
4. I just accidentally deleted my last 2 points and I'm too ornery to re-write them, so I'm finishing this post with pictures.

Lucy was NOT excited to start our Canada unit. I couldn't even get her to try a maple leaf cookie!
She warmed up to it later in the week when we did "Inuit carvings" (out of soap).


Who knew soap could be so messy?
We went to a trampoline park yesterday under the guise of a "P.E. Field Trip" (but really I just needed to get out of the house)

This is Lena's happy place

Today we got to celebrate my sweet Grand-Niece's 1st birthday

How cute is she??!!



Need some help with that new toy, Nova?

I also got to hold this guy at the party. I do not want another baby. I do not want another baby. I do not want another baby . . .

Levi's been really into lining up tracks and trucks this week.

Sometimes Grandpa helps.


He also loved carrying this purse around - full of Hot Wheels cars of course.
A blast from the past found in a church directory from 1990. 

Comments