The Saturday 7

1. Since I was a little salty about my Mother's Day plans being canceled last week, I told Justin and the kids that I intended to sleep 'til 11, at which point I would accept breakfast in bed. They kindly obliged with cinnamon rolls and scores of presents (mostly from Lena). I watched the sermon in bed, then enjoyed a leisurely day at home, playing games and reading and attempting a family walk before deciding it was too cold. Haha. I also took Lucy to Walgreens for a drive-through Covid test. Fortunately, they had free rapid tests available, so I got an email later that night with the results: Covid-free! Hallelujah! 




2. I was extremely grateful to have dodged the Covid-bullet since Lucy's birthday was on Tuesday.

We made last minute plans to have my family over for pizza and presents that night.

With her buddy Saylor



Opening the present Levi picked out for her. (A water bottle, Swedish Fish, and some pictures he colored)

Saying, "yes! I wanted this!" Lena actually came to me and asked if she could get Lucy a bed canopy for her birthday. That girl has such a heart for gift giving. 

3. Remember last week how I showed you Lena's bedroom floor completely covered in clothes? Well, one day this week, I scooped them all up, washed them, and folded them. As you can imagine, it was a very long process. This is the pile of shirts/dresses that needed to be hung up:

This was just the first load. I did two more after this. 🤦

I make Lena put the clothes away that go in her dresser, but she can't hang stuff up very well, so I just do it for her. There was one shirt hanging in her closet when I started, so I counted how many things I hung up. Any guesses? . . .
99 stinkin' shirts!!

I feel like I need a disclaimer here. 90% of those are hand-me-downs. And the reason there are so many is because Lena doesn't really grow, but she keeps digging into the next bin of hand-me-downs. There's everything from 5T-8 in there. Everything Lucy wore in that age range, plus whatever Lena has gotten for Christmas/birthdays/from school. It's insane. But apparently she wears it all - or at least takes it off the hanger and throws it on the floor for some reason! 

4. For the past month, Lucy has been working on her "European Project" for school. She got to pick a country, and then had to do a bunch of projects: make a slideshow, do a fact/fiction board, complete a packet of worksheets, etc. Yesterday was the final presentation, and part of it was bringing a food from the country you studied. Lucy, of course, picked France, and insisted on making macarons. There's a lady in town that sells fancy macarons, so I tried to talk Lucy into going that route, but she insisted her teacher said it had to be homemade. Oy vey. (That's a French phrase, isn't it?) Of course she had to pick something that is notoriously difficult to make. So we looked up recipes, and I went to the store and bought a tiny bag of almond flour for $9, plus piping bags and cream of tartar and special finely ground sugar. We practiced on Wednesday night:





They were a bit of a fail. And sooooo much work. Not to mention how long it took to clean up afterward! Nevertheless, I read some more tips and we tried again on Thursday night. We made another batch, and I spent a solid half an hour cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. They came out slightly better, but still not great. I refused to make anymore, though. So then Lucy went on to make the buttercream filling . . . completely trashing the kitchen again. I was so over it by that point, that I left the dirty dishes in the sink . . . for two days. Which meant I spent an hour cleaning those and all the others that piled up around them today. 🤦 At least the macarons looked cute all assembled and displayed prettily.
Thank goodness there are only 15 kids in Lucy's class. Lol

5. Lena missed her second session of gymnastics last week because of the plague, but she did much better this week. She was definitely nervous, but I bribed her with a treat if she didn't throw a fit/freak out, and that was incentive enough for her to choke down her nerves and get out there. After a few minutes, she was totally fine. At one point, I saw the teacher pull her aside and chat with her for a few minutes. I couldn't tell what they were saying (thanks a lot, masks!), but Lena told me later that the teacher was surprised by how advanced she is. I think the class she's in is a little too easy for her, but that's probably the best for her anxiety anyway. On Wednesday night, Lena created an elaborate backyard gymnastics show and invited us all to attend. She did routines on a "balance beam," bar, and trampoline. I videoed the trampoline routine because I'm amazed at how much she has taught herself in the past month:

6. Yesterday we met up with the cousin crew for a trip to the zoo. We wanted to get a trip in before Libby goes back to work and school lets out. Lucy and Lena weren't thrilled that we went without them, but as someone wise once told me, "Life isn't fair. Get used to it." It ended up being a beautiful day, and the kids did great. 

Levi climbed up on that rock, and Nash said, "Levi! Get down! That dangerous!" But then a minute later he asked me to put him up there with Levi. Haha. Cuties. 

We were smart and took the picture with the statue first this time. Which was fortunate, since we were all hot and tired by the end. Also Nash may have been screaming about not wanting to leave.




When we got to the zoo Nash told me, "I a little scared of the bears." Libby said he had been talking about that the night before so she assured him that he could stand back with me. Haha. Once he realized they were well-enclosed though, he wasn't as nervous. 

He's not so bad when he's behind inches of shatterproof glass. The bears were actually being pretty active and were fun to watch.

Flamingo pose


We were also able to see the amazing Lego sculptures throughout the zoo. Levi made me read each sign to tell him how many pieces each statue was made out of. 


7. A few more pictures:
Levi is suddenly very interested in spiking his hair.

It's adorable.

Connect 4 in the sunlight

Another tooth bites the dust! At least one of her front teeth is finally growing in. She's been missing those top two for almost six months!

Lunch date at Libby's house

I was scrolling through Pinterest when this jumped out at me. I own that piece of furniture!! #trendsetter


This was actually the last time that happened in 4 days. He slept in his own bed all night 4 nights in a row!! I don't think that has happened since we moved into this house 2 years ago!! With the weather getting nicer, he is outside riding his bike or jumping on the trampoline almost non-stop lately. Apparently all that exercise and fresh air is really wearing him out!

Comments