The Saturday 7

1. I just finished a book called Last Light by Terri Blackstock. It's a fictional account of a solar pulse that kills anything with a chip - so all electricity, running water, cars made after the 1970s, radios, digital watches, etc. It follows a well-to-do family in a posh suburb and how they learn to survive by boiling lake water, learning how to garden, eating fresh-caught fish, and cooking over a fire. There are looters who try to steal their food and bikes. One of the neighbors gets ahold of 4 horses, and creates a covered wagon out of an old car. The banking system completely collapses. Phones don't work. The postal service doesn't run. There are so many things you don't even think about. It was very interesting, and I'm already starting on the sequel. The whole thing reminded me of an article I read this week, though. I can't even remember how I found it, but the title was something like, "Yeah, We Should Go Back to Being Moms Like the Good Ol' Days" and the point was that historically, mothers didn't have time to entertain their children. They spent all their time trying to survive. It's actually a somewhat new phenomenon. In my Children's Literature class this semester, we learned that children's literature wasn't a thing until the Industrial Revolution, because "childhood" wasn't really a thing until then. Children were part of the family workforce from a young age. They were lucky if they got to go to school. Reading for leisure or entertainment was unheard of until machines started to change the ways people lived. (And then there was the whole child labor thing, but that's another story.) Sometimes I wonder if the lives of leisure we've created for our children are doing them more of a disservice than we think. I've commented before that my easy, comfortable lifestyle actually has contributed to my depression. It gives me way too much time for introspection. If I was busy skinning rabbits and churning butter, I wouldn't have time to think about what a bad mom I was. Also, part of me loves the idea of no screen time to fight about with my kids. No electricity? No internet? No phones? Guess you're gonna have to go play outside. Sorry I can't entertain you. I have to go down to the lake and do laundry! The realistic part of me, though, knows that my family would die if they were depending on me to garden and can things and bake bread over a fire. Sorry guys. 🤷

2. I wrapped up my second semester of college this week. I got over 95% in all 3 of my classes, so I'm pretty happy with that. I enjoyed almost everything I did this semester. Summer classes start in two weeks. I actually won't be taking any library classes this semester, so I'm going to have to dust off the thinking cap for Health and Wellness 101 and English Composition 102. Those are both classes I've already taken in my college career, but didn't transfer for some reason or another. Feeling slightly annoyed about that. I'm also taking Intro to Microsoft Word and Social Media Marketing. I'm excited about those because they're actually practical! 

3. Lena finished gymnastics on Thursday. She's been counting down the days until classes are done, and spent the majority of Thursday afternoon before gymnastics crying and begging me not to make her go. And yet, she has taught herself how to do back handsprings and back flips on the trampoline. This week, she started doing cartwheels and front walkovers off the diving board into the pool. She can do a back walkover and the splits and a pullover on the bar. But she does not want to do another session of gymnastics. I keep telling myself that it's not a big deal - she can obviously teach herself things, it's not like she was ever going to pursue competitive gymnastics, and it's saving me money by not paying for classes! I'm just sad that it's a missed opportunity for her. And I ask once again, how young is too young for anxiety medication . . .

4. We had beautiful weather this week, and our poor, tired AC got to have a break. As much as I love summer, the older I get, the more I appreciate moderate temps. I used to love 80-90 degree days, but now I pay the electric bill, and I like to go outside without sweating. These days in the 70s have been absolutely ideal. And thanks to Niki's heated pool (that I don't have to pay the electric bill for, thank goodness!) the kids still swim even when it's not sweltering outside. I don't think I wax poetic often enough about Niki's amazing generosity. She is the best. 



Poolside snuggles with Thea

5. The cooler weather also inspired Lucy to go on a baking spree. She stayed home from the pool one day this week and made muffins, brownies, and cupcakes. Then she and Lena did the "Twin Telepathy Challenge" (as kids these days do). They each decorated a cupcake using the same available ingredients, and tried to do what they thought the other would do.
The all-important divider ensuring they don't see each other's work until the end.

While they were doing that, Levi decided he wanted to give cupcakes to our neighbors - complete with decorating boxes to put them in. I really really don't like interacting with other people, especially when I feel like I'm imposing, like "Here's a few mediocre cupcakes, decorated by a 5 year old who probably licked his fingers every three seconds, shoved into a very strange container that he expects you to oooh and ahhhh over." Fortunately, none of our neighbors were home, so we were able to leave the cupcakes on their doorsteps. As uncomfortable as it is for me, I really try not to quash Levi's generous spirit. Time will do that all on its own. Haha.


6. My siblings and I are all going in different directions tomorrow, so we decided to celebrate Father's Day tonight. My wonderful brother and his wife hosted us at their lake house and we got to go out on the boat for the first time. The guys did a bunch of fishing, the girls did a bunch of talking and baby holding. The patriarchs got a couple presents. And the kids ran circles around the path, slid down the grassy hill on their bellies, ate ice cream, and made memories. 


Levi driving with his feet

Lucy pretending to fall because Nash is such a crazy driver. Lol

Dad making sure no one falls in the lake. Haha

Sweet babies inside. (Isn't Saylor's ponytail the best??)

Attempting a pic with all three. Saylor's like, "C'mon guys. I don't know what's so hard about this."

The old guys opening their presents. 💗

The baby whisperer

Nights like these are what I live for. I cherish the times all of us can get together, and I try not to take for granted that my siblings and I all love each other so much. We don't have drama. We love each other's kids. We love our parents. The older I get, the more I realize what a blessing that is. I pray that my kids will experience the same joy someday. But the way they treat each other gives me serious doubts sometimes. Please tell me you once hated your siblings, but now adore each other. Or reassure me that your kids used to fight like cats and dogs, but now they're best friends! 

7. Just two more pics this week:
90% of the time, Levi is either watching TV, swimming, eating, or hanging on me crying, "What can I doooooo????" The other 10% of the time, he's playing nicely with his trains. I truly don't understand what can possibly be so entertaining about pushing trains around the same loop of a track over and over, but I'm not complaining!

Lena makes me post a picture on my blog every time she wears this shirt. 😂

Comments