The Saturday 7

1. We had winter break on Monday and Tuesday, so I only worked 2 days this week. My neck appreciated the reprieve, but I was happy to be back at it on Wednesday. The day flies by and I adore being surrounded by books all day . . . even if my own reading life has taken a hit because I'm a responsible adult with a job now! Anyway, despite two days off of school, I still feel like this week was crazy. 

2. On Monday, after sleeping in and lounging around for a while (as is required on winter break), the kids and I went up to Luke and Esther's house to celebrate Presidents' Day with them. Truly. Esther is the only person I know who actually celebrates Presidents' Day. Lol. [#nerd] We actually just went to visit because Esther recently had knee surgery and has been cooped up at home. My kids love her kids and they had a blast together. 

3. On Tuesday, we had some friends over. Kelly and I talked for four hours while the girls entertained each other, and Levi bounced around between everyone looking for attention/entertainment/trouble. That night, Lena wore me down and convinced me to do tie-dye with her. Someone [me] stupidly bought her a tie-dye kit for her birthday, forgetting that I'd have to be the one to do the dirty work with her. I hate pumpkin carving and egg dyeing and letting my kids paint for one reason: the mess. And tie-dye is the worst offender. Dye is so permanent and my kids are so clumsy. It was a nerve wracking experience.



At one point I literally said to the girls, "I hope you look back on this moment as adults and realize how much I loved you to do this with you." Lol. 

4. They've actually been on an art kick lately. When I got home from Bible Study on Thursday night, I found all these paintings the kids had done:

I couldn't believe Levi did that by himself!

My Great Grandpa Claude was an artist, my grandpa was an artist, my dad was a photographer and an artist in his own right, but I've always joked that the artistic gene stopped with him. Maybe it just skipped a generation and my kids actually got some of that talent! (If you've ever played Telestrations with me, you know firsthand that I did not inherit that ability to draw. Lol) 

5. Last night and most of the day today I was at a women's event at church. I've been planning on going for weeks, but didn't plan ahead very well that Levi's birthday is Monday. We're having a little family party tomorrow after church, and on Thursday afternoon I realized I had almost no time to get ready. Granted, it's just our immediate families coming over. I don't need to impress them too much. But Levi desperately needed a haircut, I hadn't gotten him a cake, I only had a couple presents stashed away in my closet. He kind of gets the short end of the stick because I'm burned out on celebrations by the end of February. We go from Christmas to Lena's birthday to Justin's birthday, to Valentine's Day, usually throw in Florida somewhere in there, then have Levi's birthday. I'm sick of spending money and making memories. Lol. But he was adamant that he wants a party, so I did what I could over the past few days, and then asked Justin to step up and do the rest. He has been so gracious and helpful the past two weeks as I adjust to working outside of the home. He's picked up so much of the slack with the housework, has given baths and helped with homework, and even brushed Lucy's hair (a job that I have perfected, but still takes a huge chunk of time). In the past three days, I think he's done somewhere around 7 loads of laundry - like wash, dry, fold, and put away - all while working full time outside in this wretched cold. I seriously don't deserve him and am so thankful that he has been willing to take on more responsibility and do the chores no one wants to do. Seriously - taking Levi to get his hair cut is not an enjoyable experience. 

6. That's all I can conjure for today. Enjoy these pictures.

I'm going to use this one. "Hydrate" is right in the word!

Celebrating Saylor's 1st birthday!



Bam!

One of the reading incentives we do in the library is "Eye Read." Once the kids read and record 15 books, they turn it in and get a prize. I couldn't help but snicker at this kid's spelling. 

Comments