The Saturday 7

I haven't felt like blogging lately. Probably another sign I need to stop decreasing my meds. Blech. I'll regret it if I skip two weeks in a row, though, so let's see what I can muster up . . . (You're excited to read on now, aren't you?!)

1. I finished my winter semester of college classes this week. I had a 100% in all three of my classes for the majority of the semester because all of the assignments were subjective - essays, discussion board responses, etc. Once I had to answer objective questions with a clear right or wrong answer on the final exam, my grades slipped a little. It's pretty tragic . . .


I have a couple weeks off before my final semester begins. I'm not really looking forward to the last few classes I have to take - mainly math and early childhood development. But I just have to pass, right? C's get degrees!

2. I went back to my regular schedule of only working on Mondays this week. I miss parts of the job, but it was nice to have so much free time back. I ran so many errands this week, and finally started the spring cleaning projects I kept telling myself I was going to do. I purged a bunch of toys from Levi's room. It took me hours and hurt my back and made me despair about all the other big projects I need to work on before school lets out for the summer! I also found myself enjoying a little too much bargain shopping. I hit Rowland's last Friday, did the Alpine circuit on Friday - Goodwill, Thrifty Outlet, Daily Deals, and Dollar Tree yesterday. My new obsession is watching Dollar Tree DIY videos on facebook. Haha. So I bought a bunch of organization tools and some cutesy craft projects. Stay tuned. We'll see if I'm talented enough to pull them off. 

3. I've been enjoying March Madness again this year. My nephew posted on facebook that the people who perform best in bracket challenges are the ones who know the least about basketball. (Of course, he said that after Kentucky lost in the first round since he had them winning the whole tournament.) It's true, though. I pretty consistently do well in the bracket because I'm only loyal to Villanova. The rest of the games, I pick winners at random. Villanova is doing well this year, which helps a lot. But I also made some pretty stellar predictions. I feel like I should win something or at least get extra points for my 100% accuracy in the Southern region:
Never mind that the rest of my final four picks didn't make it. Haha. I'm currently in 2nd place in the family bracket challenge. The only person ahead of me also picked Villanova to win it all, so I can't win. But I'll wear that second place crown with pride should it come down to that!

4. One of the projects I completed this week that I've been putting off for months (ok years) was calling to get a couple glass window panes replaced. We have two broken panes, but the windows are still in decent condition. Glass Doctor came out this week to measure and give me an estimate. I was unprepared for the cost of two measly panes of glass. It's over $600!! Granted, that includes installation, but it's not like we're talking about huge fancy windows - just run of the mill window panes. Lena is responsible for cracking one of the windows. I might have to dip into her savings to cover the cost! 

Don't mind the dead fly caught between the two panes. 😂

5. I'm struggling with this interminable winter that seems to keep hanging on. I've just been in a slump for the past few weeks. The main reason I've avoided blogging is because I have nothing to say. I haven't read any good books to talk about, I don't have any profound insights on life to share. I've been sleeping too much, praying too little, and completely ignoring my Bible. I came across an article on facebook recently that stood out to me. It was about reading the Bible even when you don't feel like it, even when you don't feel like you're "getting anything out of it," even when your spiritual life seems dry. When I shared the article, Justin's Aunt Laurie commented with some excellent wisdom that I want to record here so I can look back on it and be encouraged: 

A wise man once told us regarding daily Bible reading:
Sometimes:
1. it’s like medicine: you know you need it to get healed
Sometimes it’s
2. Like oatmeal, dry but nourishing
Other times it’s
3. Like fruit and vegetables : really good for well being and growth
And other times
4. Like dessert: pure joy like ice cream and hot fudge!
We’ve found this to be true…….just keep at. There will be dry times, but rich times, too!! And You’ll never say, “I wish I didn’t do that.” “LET the word of Christ dwell in you richly..”. Col 3:16

6. I'm thankful for generations like Justin's aunt who have gone before us and have wisdom to share. I was never a part of a true "mentorship," but I have many people who have fulfilled that role in various ways throughout my life. Recently, I had someone tell me that even if I don't feel like I have my life together or have wisdom to share, I am to the point in life where I have an established marriage, family, and years of being a Christian behind me. It's time for me to start filling that role of mentor to the next generation. Yikes. Talk about pressure. And talk about making me feel old. 

7. I've hardly taken any pictures lately. I don't even have any memes saved this week! This is all I've got to end with:

The perks of working recess duty: I get to take pics of my kids. 

Comments