A Very Late Saturday 7

1. We had a great first week of school! Everyone was excited on the first day and got up and ready without a fuss. Lena and Levi were nervous, but there were no tears from anyone, and they did fine. (It helped that I was there all day working on their first day.)





Levi was allowed to bring a stuffed friend on his first day, so Fluffy Puppy got to go to school. 


I didn't do checkouts on the first day since my cart and computer weren't ready yet, but I had fun with the kids and enjoyed figuring out my new routine. Of course I bragged last week about not having to do recess and was pulled in to sub on the first day. Haha. It's seriously not a big deal. Just ironic. 
At least it was a beautiful day. I'll be less enthused about subbing when there's snow on the ground!

2. On my first day of work, I had kindergarteners and first graders. On Thursday, I had 4th and 5th graders, so I had fun explaining to them how I went to this same school from K-12. I even dug up my old 4th grade yearbook to show them. First I gave it to them like this, and asked them to find me. What's your guess?
3rd row, 2nd from the left 

Then I revealed the names on the side and pointed out that the kid three down from me had the last name VanderKodde (I'd already introduced myself as Mrs. VanderKodde at this point). I asked them what they thought that meant. It was hilarious to see it dawn on them as one kid cried out, "You married him?!" 
I warned them that they might be sitting next to their future spouse. It took me a really long time to calm them down after that. Lol.

Four out of my five classes were easy and cooperative. The fifth one is going to be a challenge. Time to dust off my classroom management techniques! 

3. Now that Levi is in school every day, all day, and I'm only working two days a week, I have three days home to myself. (Or at least I will once we have a full five-day week.) I'm not gonna lie . . . I really enjoyed the two kid-free days I had last week. It's incredible how much I get done without kids following behind me to immediately undo everything I've worked on! Plus I had time to do my devotions in peace for a solid half an hour and start my new exercise program! Did I tell you guys about that yet? I found a program specifically meant for women with diastasis recti. I signed up for a plan that will teach me how to exercise in a very slow, progressive way. Seriously - the first two exercise routines I did were "how to breathe" and "incorporating movement with breathing." Haha. I'm excited about it, though, because there are stages you're supposed to progress through and benchmarks that signal when you're ready to move on. I like that it starts so slowly that I won't immediately get discouraged and give up. However, it's time for an important PSA: the instructor insists that sucking in your belly creates more problems than it helps. She says it messes with your lower back and teaches your muscles to overcompensate in ways that make things worse. So I'm supposed to just let it all hang out. And when I do that, I legit look six months pregnant. So please don't start any rumors. I am not pregnant. In fact, permanent measures have been taken to ensure that I never get pregnant again, so barring an act of God, you can safely assume from here on out that I'm just fat. I'm also almost 37, so that ship has sailed. 

4. We went camping again this weekend. Two times in one summer. Who have I become? This time we went with Justin's extended family. It's always fun for my kids to play with their second cousins who they see only once or twice a year. 

Nighttime swimming!






Levi was in his glories with all the dogs to play with


Justin's dad buys ice cream every night. This night was a frisbee-full!

Queen of the cabin

This was the first year we went to the camp's church service. Afterward, Levi got lemonade and said, "This church makes the best lemonade! We need to get their recipe!" 😂

Another dog!

At the lake



Lucy on the banana being pulled behind the speedboat! Levi went on it with Justin too, but my pictures are all blurry. 


Our turn for the frisbee ice cream!

5. I noticed this weekend that Lena wasn't quite as clingy as she has been in years past. She actually walked to the bathroom by herself when she needed to go, and she played with the kids even if I wasn't in sight. Making progress!! I know I shouldn't rush it. Soon, none of them will want anything to do with me. But I feel bad that she misses out on so much because of her anxiety. I'm proud of her for lengthening the leash a little this year!

6. That's all for this week. Enjoy these last few pics and a video of Lena's amazingness. 
He sure loves that garage sale stuffed animal


I am going to be so ripped by the end of the school year. 💪


Seriously, though . . .


Comments