Fabulous Recipe!

I'm sorry if you're getting sick of the recipe posts, but I figure people are always looking for new recipes, and this one was really good!

It's actually from a book about freezing dinners ahead of time, but I just found it on a message board.

Now, disclaimer . . . it sounds really gross. It's another one of those recipes with a very strange combination of ingredients. As I was making it, I was thinking No way is this going to turn out. It is going to be so gross and we're going to end up having peanut butter and jelly for dinner. But then once it was all simmering on the stove, it started to smell really good, and my faith was restored. So here you have it:

Peanut Chicken

Recipe By: Don't Panic - More Dinners in the Freezer
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup sesame oil - - - [The only thing I could find at the store was "sesame seed oil" in the ethnic foods aisle. And it was $12! Yeah right! I just used vegetable oil.]
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes [We're not big spice fans, so I left this out.]

--I also added some veggies: canned carrots and a smattering of frozen stir fry veggies--

Directions:
Slice chicken into bite size pieces and sauté in sesame oil until chicken is no longer pink.  Add peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and red pepper.  Simmer until sauce is thickened and heated through, about 15 minutes.  Cool completely.  Freeze.

Serving
Thaw.  Heat chicken and sauce on stove.  Serve over rice

Verdict:
I didn't do any of the freezing or thawing. Just threw it all together, simmered for 15 minutes, and served it over rice. (Brown rice, Libby! Aren't you proud?) And I didn't let Justin see the ingredients I put in it. Haha. He took one bite and declared "This tastes like cashew chicken." Which is exactly what I was thinking! I wish I had some cashews to throw in it. So yummy. And easy! Although, of course, Lucy wouldn't eat one bite. Oh well. I can't win every time. :-)

Comments

  1. I actually made this tonight! I thought it was great... added the last jalapeno from our garden for a little kick.
    Josh thought it was okay, maybe needs some tweaking... but it was very yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment