The Saturday 7

1. I finished Radical last weekend. I've been meaning to write an entry all week, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I write it in my head almost every night while I'm in bed. I just need to type it up! Here is my one sentence review: I hated it because it's so convicting, but I feel like it's rooted in Biblical truth. Stay tuned. :-)

2. I had a fabulous birthday. Thanks to everyone who made it special. I had a wonderful time stuffing my face all weekend. Friday we had Red Robin, Saturday was Qdoba, Sunday Olive Garden, and Monday Logan's! Wow. It's a good thing I don't believe in counting calories. ;-) Justin bought me some boots that I wanted, and  I got a couple American Eagle gift cards, an Olive Garden gift card, $50 cash, a scarf, mittens, and bracelet. I really wanted Justin to take me to the mall today, but it must have slipped my mind that today is a big Michigan sports day. I don't think he'll be leaving the couch. Haha.

3. Yesterday, Lucy and I went on a field trip to the Children's Museum with our friends Carrie, Abby, Kelly, and Presley. We had so much fun! Abby, Presley, and Lucy are all the same age, so it was fun to see how they're similar and different. I was shocked to realize how ADD Lucy is! Haha. Presley and Abby sat at each exhibit and played. Lucy bounced from one to the next and got into everything in the building that wasn't meant to be played with. She was obsessed with the stairs, with looking out the huge windows, and with just running around aimlessly. Haha. Her favorite exhibits were the kitchen and the veterinarian clinic. It was a great time. I just wish it wasn't so far away! Thanks Carrie for suggesting it!
The only decent picture I got of all three of them. More pics will be posted to facebook later today. 

4. Lucy's latest fascination is zippers. If ever I'm wearing a zip up sweatshirt, she insists that I zip it. She loves to unzip Chase and Lyla's backpacks, my CD cases, and my make-up bag.

One more Lucy factoid: she learned what the monkey says this week: Ah ooh ah ooh! :-)

5. After reading Radical, I've been praying that God would use me, that he would reveal a way for me to serve Him and reach out to people. So this week I got something in the mail from Compassion International asking me to be a Compassion Advocate. It's basically a volunteer who tries to recruit new Compassion sponsors. The brochure had some basic information, but I'm not really sure how much of a commitment it is. At first, I thought it was definitely something I could do. I could get up in front of church and give a spiel. I could put up a booth in the foyer. I'd even be willing to have a booth at a couple area expos or something. But I'm not sure I could give presentations at other churches or have booths at every event possible.

How do you know when God is actually calling you to something? I'm sure every Compassion sponsor gets these requests to be an Advocate. But it came at a time when I was looking for a way to actively serve. Is that reason enough to do it? Or should I feel more compulsion from the Spirit? Am I quelling the Spirit with my fears? Ugh. Decisions, decisions!

6. Here's a random question: can you text 911 in case of an emergency? Last week, when I was hacking my guts out, I fell asleep with a cough drop in my mouth. I've done that many times before, but this time, I was home alone with Lucy and I thought to myself: what would I do if I choked on that cough drop while we were home alone? Could I text "choking!" to 911? The problem is we have a really long address. I'd probably pass out before I could type it all and hit send! Haha.

7. I can't think of anything else, so I'm going to tell you about another one of Lucy's obsessions: shoes. The girl is in love. Sometimes if I'm distracted with something, I'll suddenly realize Lucy is out of sight and it's very quiet. I almost always find her sitting in her closet, sorting her shoes. Haha. One day this week, I was downstairs doing laundry. She started to follow me down the stairs, but stopped on the landing to play with my shoes. (She ended up putting them in a bag and I couldn't find them for days! Haha.) I am not one of those girls who's really into shoes - mostly just because I have bunions like an 80 year old woman so I can't really wear cute shoes. However, I think Lucy will be more the stereotypical shoe-obsessed girl!

Comments

  1. "...it came at a time when I was looking for a way to actively serve. Is that reason enough to do it?" I would say yes. If there is a need and you fill it, I think you are doing the will of God by serving Him and his people. I always thought that "the will of God" was some finite thing that I had to discover, but I'm beginning to understand that God's will is that he should be honored, glorified, and served. There are so many ways we can do this, whether it be serving others in love of just worshiping Him. We don't need to wait for a feeling to tell us that God wants us to do something... serve where you see a need and give God the glory.

    Orion is ADHD and obsessed with zippers too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say for sure if God was telling you to do that or not, but I do know that I get those same things in the mail and I have never felt like I was supposed to do it. And I agree with the above comment--God's will is not as mysterious as some people make it out to be, I think usually if it's something honoring to Him and we are able and convicted, then it probably is something we should do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment