The Saturday "7"

1. A few minutes after writing last week's Saturday 7, Justin brought in the mail with a letter from Lucy's teacher! There's an open house to meet her/see the classroom/have our questions answered this Thursday. So I'm feeling a bit more confident now. Whew.

2. I read two books this week: The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris and Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. That puts me at 26 books read. Only 4 to go in 7 weeks. Easy peasy. :-)

3. I saw a great article floating around facebook this week: I Don't Know How You Do This Every Day. Here's kind of a long excerpt from it, but it's so good.
It became a daily routine in our house – my husband walked through the door at 6:02 p.m. and I promptly dumped two children into his arms, along with three dozen complaints, before locking myself in the bathroom to be alone for 10 minutes.
Every night my knight in shining armor took over kid duty as I unloaded every rotten detail of our exhausting day. I needed him to know how hard this was, how worn out I had become, how depleted and hopeless I felt by 5 p.m. The complaints flew out of my mouth without hesitation, tales of spit-up and failed naps and tantrums in the grocery store and crushed cheerios under the kitchen table.
I had turned into the world's biggest tattletale, with our kids at the forefront of my daily rant. I became the type of person that I didn't even like to be around – the victim, the girl who whines more than she laughs. I didn't even recognize myself on some days. Who was this negative person complaining 24/7? I wanted to stop myself, but I couldn't; the rants came flying out of my mouth like word vomit.
She goes on to realize that the problem wasn't really with the kids, it was with her attitude. She was so desperate for validation from her husband that her job was hard, that she dwelt on all the negatives of the day instead of enjoying being a stay at home mom.

I have been shocked by the depression that accompanied my move to being a stay at home mom. This is what I've always wanted. It's what I worked toward. It's why we were married for 5 years before having kids. It's why we live with my parents. So why do I feel like I hate it sometimes? I don't want to work. I don't want to do anything else. But I don't totally love this all the time either. And it's largely because of my attitude. I've had this realization before. I've told myself to focus on the good, to soak up the happy times, but I need reminders. It's so easy to fall back into my habit of despair.

4. Here's an example of how good I have it. My sister is camping all week at a campground on a lake. So one day this week, I packed up the girls and we headed out to the campground, where my sisters and I sat on the beach chatting and soaking up sun and my girls ran in and out of the waves playing. (Granted, there was screaming and crying and cleaning up a lot of sand and all that goes with little kids and the beach.) But I got to spend the day at the beach with my kids and my sisters! That is the life!


5. We actually went to the lake twice this week. Lucy is fearless and wades right out to her neck. She can swim, but not well, and she makes me quite nervous. Lena started out wary, but got more and more comfortable, and loved being able to walk right in and sit down in the shallow water. I got a nice sunburn that faded into a lovely tan. Yes, vanity will be the death of me.

Well I guess that's it for this week. All we did was hang out at the beach, read books, and watch TV (Rehab Addict is my new obsession). Have a great weekend, y'all!

Comments