The Saturday 7

1. This week, I read The Lake House by Kate Morton. It was really good - a very complicated, multi-layered mystery that left me guessing. By the end, when I figured out what happened, I wanted to go back and re-read it in light of the reveal. I've read one other book by Morton that left me feeling the same way. I looked up some of her other books, though, and was a little disappointed to see that they're all the same. Old people remembering something tragic that happened in the past and someone younger putting together the pieces to solve the mystery. She has like 10 books with the same storyline. Time to branch out, Kate. 

2. I mentioned last week that I was going to pick a verse to pray over each of the girls this year. Here's what I ended up with.

Lucy: "With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!" (Psalm 119:10)

Lena: "O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds." (Psalm 71:17)

They're both on the same track - I pray that God will instill His word/a desire for a relationship with Him in their hearts while they're young, and that they'll never wander from it. 

3. Since Lucy refused to say "Thank you" for her presents at Christmas, I made her write thank you notes this week. It was excruciating for both of us. 
It took her f.o.r.e.v.e.r, and she whined the entire time. She kept saying, "This is the worst thing ever! Why do I have to do this?!" So at least I had lots of opportunities to tell her, "If you would've said thank you to people, you wouldn't have to do this. But you chose not to, so now you have to do it the long way." Hopefully she learned her lesson. 

4. I'm getting good at scrolling past anything remotely political on facebook without reading it. All the memes make me so angry, but I hate to totally hide the people who post them (because they post other stuff too that I like to see!). I figure we've got a solid 10 months of this still, so I either have to abandon facebook altogether or learn to deal with the politics. And like I'm ever going to leave facebook . . .

5. Guess what I finally did yesterday? Called the chiropractor! I noticed there's an office literally a mile down the street from my house, so I looked it up online and called to see if they were accepting new patients. The chiropractor himself answered the phone and said, "I usually take new patients on Fridays at 9:30." It was 9:40 when I called, but he said he didn't have anyone new that day and asked if I could go in right then. I wasn't expecting to get in so quickly! Chiropractors crack me up (pun intended). They all have their funny terminology and revolutionary techniques. This guy kept talking about making my pelvic girdle into a nest for the baby. Haha. Whatever floats your boat, dude. Just help me with my pain! He cracked me like crazy - back, hips, neck, did some weird pulling on my arms and legs, let me lay on an automatic massage table for a while, and told me to come back next week to do it again. He said his revolutionary technique will create a nest environment and encourage the baby to go head down, while aligning my bones to prepare them for labor. Sounds good to me! The baby is definitely not head down yet (pretty sure he's transverse), so I'm all for encouraging that! I'm still in lots of pain today, but I know these things take time. And I know it's not going to eliminate my pain altogether. Mostly, I'm just hoping to keep my body aligned so that I can function once this baby is finally out of me. I was in so much agony for months after Lena was born. I'd like to avoid that this time around. 

6. Last night, Justin and I went on a hot date to Logan's and Wal-Mart. I've been craving Logan's for weeks. Of course, I could only eat about three bites and then I was painfully full. Justin ate rolls, steak, fries, salad, and some of my entree. When we left, he couldn't stop talking about how full he was. I said, "Welcome to my world. That is how I feel all the time." Haha. We took advantage of being kid-free (thanks, Mom!) to stop at Wal-Mart. He looked at fishing stuff and I stocked up on some last minute baby essentials. Crib sheets, a baby book, lanolin, etc. 9 weeks to go and I'm finally starting to get things ready. #thirdchild

7. Some funny stories from this week:

Lucy asked me how the baby could breathe inside me, so we had a talk about umbilical cords and how babies are attached to their moms. I told her that she and Lena used to be attached to me, too, and explained how that relates to their belly buttons. Lena said, "I was stuck to you?" When I said yes, she said, "I was stuck to Lucy too?" I told her no, that they were in my belly at different times, but she continued, saying, "Oh, Lucy was in your front and I was in your back?" Haha. So glad that's now how it works!

Lena also told me this week that she's the cutest girl in the world. Fortunately, Lucy was at school, because there would've been a heated argument about that one. #selfconfidence 

Comments

  1. I'm soooo with you about Facebook. I wish there was a "block all political posts" button. I really hate it.

    I hope the chiropractor helps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment