The "Saturday" 7

1. We did it! After months of planning, we had a successful week of VBS! I think I found my sweet spot as the Director of Crafts (a title I made up and bestowed upon myself). My forte is planning and prepping, but not necessarily executing (which is why I'm a bad homeschool mom). I spent months looking up ideas, testing them out, refining them, and figuring out how to get the supplies in the most cost effective manner. Then I spent weeks cutting things out and organizing supplies. Finally, I assembled an extremely talented group of volunteers to help me do the craft with the kids every day. And because I had done lots of work ahead of time, the week of VBS itself was pretty low-stress for me! Don't get me wrong. I'm not used to getting up that early so I definitely took a nap every afternoon, but it was one of the easiest VBS experiences I've had. And my kids enjoyed it for the most part. Lena was a good sport. Lucy was done by Thursday. Levi came down with a fever on Friday. But for the most part it was a good week.
I gave up on that dumb thing after day 2. It kept falling off and getting tangled around my ankles.



We had a daily petting zoo that Levi particularly enjoyed (despite his look of concentration and/or stink eye toward the girl trying to pet the same dog as him).

Beautiful Lena with John the Donkey

Such a Justin face. "I will humor you, but I'm not going to give you a real smile."

Thanks to my friend Christina for sending me these pictures she took as she walked around throughout the week.

2. I haven't given you a basement update in a while! I know you've been wondering . . . The drywall is totally done now. Justin and his dad will be installing doors tomorrow. Then we just have to paint and install flooring before the finish plumbing and electrical can be done! There's a small "landing/hallway" of sorts between the bathroom/laundry room/our room that is currently concrete. We planned on finishing it with the same flooring Luke installed in the basement. He bought it at Menard's a year ago, but when I just looked it up, it's discontinued! Blurg. So I guess we're on the hunt for a color match now. It's coming along. Hopefully we can at least get Levi's room painted and mostly finished this week!

3. He was sick at the end of the week with a nasty cough, which of course leads to puking. I should seriously get an award for all the puke I've cleaned up in my 9 years of motherhood. Lol. (#millenial) We had a couple rough nights of sleep - which was especially difficult during VBS when we were getting up so much earlier than usual. One night, he fell asleep on the couch with me. I shifted him off me and he stayed asleep, but I was worried he'd fall off or wake up in the dark and be scared. And I didn't dare move him and chance waking him up. So I slept on the loveseat all night. I'm getting too old for that. He's also been so snuggly, though. His new favorite thing is nuzzling my face with his and saying, "Ugga Mugga, Mommy." If you watch Daniel Tiger, you know "Ugga Mugga" is Tiger for "I love you." Awwww.

4. I didn't read any books this week. I also didn't do any laundry. And I did very little cleaning of my house. Oy. It's astounding how quickly it can fall into utter disrepair. Actually, on Thursday, Justin and I decided to take a last minute trip to Menards to pick out doors. (#thisis33) We asked Justin's mom if she could watch the kids and she agreed to come over. So I hurriedly picked up, wiped down counters, and cleaned the toilet - because that's what you do when your mother-in-law comes over. Lena asked me why I was cleaning (because it's such a rare occurrence), and I jokingly replied, "So Grandma doesn't realize what slobs we are." Lena replied deadpan, "Mommy. She already knows." Lol.

5. On Friday night, my parents watched our kids. They're in the process of fixing their house up to sell, and tomorrow is drywall day. So they had the main room totally cleared out - all the furniture gone, all my dad's books boxed up, the picture frames taken down, etc. When I walked in, I legitimately teared up! I'm not a crier, and I'm not particularly torn up about my parents selling my childhood home. I mean, it's going to be sad, but I was shocked to have such a visceral reaction! I was also exhausted from VBS, having anxiety about a separate situation, and hormonal. So the odds were stacked against me.

6. The reason this post is a day late is because yesterday I had a vicious headache. I'm always hesitant to term anything a migraine. I don't get auras or see spots or throw up or anything. But I get intense pain that doesn't go away with OTC meds, makes me nauseous, and causes me to fall asleep on the couch multiple times a day. Yesterday, I took two naps and still fell asleep at my usual midnight bedtime. I've actually had it to varying degrees for 3 days. It will sometimes lessen with ibuprofen, but never really goes away. Right now, it's just a lingering twinge behind my eye, so hopefully I'm on the upswing. #sooverit

7. Pictures!
Justin's cousin was in Amsterdam this week and found this road sign! There's some contention in our family about the spacing of our last name. (#teamnospace) But I hope we can all agree not to adopt the traditional Dutch version of two spaces and the lowercase der!
Traditional Father's Day breakfast in bed
"This is my handstand shirt"
I have absolutely no desire to garden or landscape at the new house. I don't particularly like to be outside. I don't eat vegetables. I'm clueless about growing flowers. And I hate spending money. Fortunately, my sister-in-law did not feel the same way, and planted some beautiful perennials that come up for me to enjoy this year! Thanks, Esther!


Peonies that were semi-dying by the time I cut them.
Beautiful roses!



As a reward for reaching our missions fundraising goal at VBS, the local firetruck came to spray the kids and give tours of the truck. Levi was in his glories.


I got to hang out with the Nash-man for a while at the pool yesterday. I think he gets cuter every time I see him. 😍
Good end to a good week.

Comments