The Saturday 7

Last week's entry didn't share to facebook correctly, so I feel like people didn't see it. Go here and read about my current obsessions, my mental health, and shark week. 

1. This week we worked hard to squeeze all the fun out of the last few weeks of summer. We had a mini cousin beach day on Monday.





2. On Wednesday, we learned about sheep at Aunt Sadie's Summer Camp. 
Nash with his q-tip/play-doh sheep

Nova turned hers into a jellyfish


Levi made a shepherd with a mohawk

The herd

Sheep snack: graham cracker with peanut butter, mini marshmallows, and Junior Mint eyes (that look suspiciously like boobs)

That afternoon, I took the kids to school with me because I really needed to get some work done while the other office ladies were there. School is open Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday in the summer, and those are the days I tend to have a boatload of kids. So I packed snacks and coloring stuff and parked the kids in front of the big screen in the library (with Lena babysitting) so I could do the job I actually get paid for. Lol. I tried to get them to watch Shaun the Sheep, but they weren't fans, so eventually we settled on the new animated version of the Chosen - I think it's called The Chosen Adventures. I'm sure there were lots of sheep. Haha.

3. Then Friday it was off to another beach for an official Cousin Fun Day.
Poor Thea didn't make it to the beach, because she had to get her tonsils out that morning!

A little soccer in the sand

When we went to Lake Michigan a couple weeks ago, we saw a ton of people on stand-up paddleboards, and the kids talked about how much they wanted to try it. So we decided to rent a few when we went to Millennium Park on Friday (pro tip: get free passes from any KDL library branch - you can get 2 adults and 4 kids into the park for free and get 50% off boat and paddleboard rentals!). 


Of course Lena can't just paddle like a normal person. Lol.

That's Lucy way out there! (And sweet Esther in the kayak, because an adult had to go with them, and I'm not very confident in my kayaking or paddleboarding skills.)

They loved it, and now Levi's going to want to go there all the time! We actually had a great day at the beach. The kids all got along, they entertained each other so well, and only one kid's lunch got stolen by seagulls! We ended up staying for over 6 hours! We were all pretty sunburned, but man, these are the days summer is made for.


4. We only have one more week of Aunt Sadie's Summer Camp, because I have to go back to school on the 17th. And then everyone else starts the following week. I'm feeling a little anxious about going back to work this year - like I'm already feeling overwhelmed and I've barely gotten started. There are a lot of events I have to run right at the beginning of the year. And I'm in charge of the auction for the first time this year. Last year I was technically in charge, but the former Development Director was still on the auction committee, and she did a lot of it. This year, I'm on my own and it's terrifying. I'm only doing one day in the library the year - which was my choice. I'm happy to still be involved, but the development stuff really takes up most of my brain space, so I'm thankful for a co-librarian who is taking over the rest of the days. 

5. Another nail in the coffin of summer is soccer starting on Monday. Justin is coaching the varsity boys' team again this year, and they start daily practices this week. Having him coach is much easier on me now that the kids are older - especially because Levi will tag along to most of his practices and games. He becomes the team mascot, and gets a little exercise and soccer training while he's at it. 
Practicing in the backyard

Lena is playing Upward Volleyball this year, so she'll only have one practice a week and one game. So much better than the break-neck schedule of basketball and soccer! And Lucy will continue at the ice cream shop after school and on weekends until they close for the year. 

6. I've been having a lot of thoughts lately about what it means to be a mature Christian. I've been a Christian for at least 30 years, and have the kind of brain that has absorbed a great deal of the Christian education that was entrusted to me. I have the time and inclination to study deeply, and have a pretty broad knowledge base. But what am I doing with it? Paul famously says, "knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." I don't want to learn more and more just so I can say I've learned more and more. Certainly, the more knowledge I gain, the more I fall in love with Jesus. But am I to a place now where I should be helping others gain knowledge so that they'll fall more in love with Jesus? I'm not really sure what that looks like. I'm praying about it. But for now, I've decided to start jotting down some thoughts based on my current Bible reading. It probably won't be super consistent or especially profound, but I'll put it out there in the hopes that I'm not the only one who will benefit from it. Last week, I started a Jen Wilkin study on Hebrews, and right from the get-go, gears started spinning in my head that made my fingers itch to process through writing . . . so that's what I did. Check it out here.

7. And now for pics and memes:
Joint gymnastics?

Lainey the blue kitty

I voted! 



Rookie move. I never leave home without my "purse sweater" during the summer months.







Comments