The Saturday 7


1. My dad helped me plant a garden earlier this year. I'm a terrible gardener and have not tended it very often. Especially because it's been so hot, I just can't bring myself to sit in the baking sun and weed. The poor garden was lucky if it got watered occasionally during our dry spell. Anyway, my potatoes have been ready to be harvested for probably a month, and I kept putting it off. One night this week, I was sitting in the air conditioned house watching TV, when Justin came in and said, "I dug up your potatoes. Where do you want them?" Woohoo! We actually got a pretty good haul despite my laziness.
Also pictured - my very overripe zucchini and squash. 

So now I need recipes. Or does anyone have any suggestions for freezing them? 

2. I told Justin before the Olympics started, that I'm one of the rare few who doesn't get too excited about the big games. The only thing I really care about is gymnastics. But of course we've had it on all the time and I've been getting into it. Last night, they did a special about the Magnificent 7 gymnasts who won gold in like '95 or '96. I totally cried watching it! Haha. I didn't cry when I watched this year's gymnasts win gold. I think the Magnificent 7 is more nostalgic for me. I was really into gymnastics back then. And they played such dramatic music during the piece. Haha. Plus, I feel like those girls were so excited and happy and expressive. This year's team was so solemn. Gabby hardly even cracked that infamous smile when she was on the podium for the all-around. And she didn't cry or anything! 

3. Lucy used to have like 15 binkies. Somehow she has lost almost all of them and we were down to 3 by the beginning of this week. One day we were driving to the library and I heard her say, "Uh-oh, Mommy. Binky broke." She handed me a binky with a huge hole bitten out of it! So now we're down to 2. She might just wean herself from them if she keeps biting through them! I'm in no hurry to wean her of them, though. She's such a good sleeper. I'm not giving that up just because I get the side eye from people for letting her still have a binky!

4. So I didn't really get into the Chick-Fil-A drama on facebook this week. I can't get into debates for 3 reasons. 1. I get my feelings hurt too easily. 2. I get angry too fast and don't trust myself to hold my tongue (or my fingers, as the case my be on facebook) 3. I don't think debating is ever going to change anyone's mind. It just makes people madder. That said, I really liked this article: 


This is my favorite line:

It’s quite sad really that those who scream for tolerance seem to be intolerant of anyone who does not hold to their particular view."

That's all I have to say about that. :-)

5. I only have 10 more (non-consecutive) days of work before I become a stay at home mom! While it will be crazy to leave those kids after watching them for 6 years, I'm really excited to stay home full time. I've decided I'm going to have to make myself a schedule/routine, though, or I'll go crazy. It's funny how when I work, I'm so much more motivated when I come home. I make dinner and usually at least do laundry or dishes or something. But when I'm home all day, I don't have a plan for dinner, so nothing ever gets made. And I end up spending all day online or laying on the floor playing with Lucy. Gonna have to put myself on a schedule. :-)

6. I'm not the only one in our household with an upcoming job change. Justin actually got a new job within his company and is starting on Monday! It doesn't come with a raise, but it will be a much nicer job. Instead of driving a truck and working in a 100* warehouse all day, he will be working 9-5 in the air conditioned office!  He used to work long days starting very early in the morning. It was nice because he always had one day off a week, but I think he'll enjoy not waking up at 5 am every day! Since yesterday was his last Friday off, we had a family beach day. I say this every year: we live so close to this big, beautiful lake, but we so rarely make it out there. Last year, Lucy was terrified of the waves and the sand. This year, she loved it! The water was so nice and warm thanks to the insane heat wave we've been having, and we couldn't get her out of it! It was such a fun day.

7. 13 days 'til Libby's wedding! We've scheduled our hair and nail appointments, been going to showers galore, and planned the bachelorette party! Plus the second half of Lucy's flower girl outfit came in the mail today. She is going to be sooo cute. Now just to get her to walk down the aisle! Haha. Getting so close! Exciting!

Comments

  1. I am of the opposite opinion of chikfila, but they are allowed to share their beliefs, like everyone else. So everyone goes nuts. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love #5. I was just saying that I need to create a schedule for myself since I'm an official stay at home mom now too! We should compare schedules once they are created to get ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The potatoes will store well, just eat them up for dinners! I'd either make bread or fry the zucchini with a meal.

    The '96 Olympic gymnasts were awesome! I was soooo into watching gymnastics that year! I didn't watch that special the other day, but I did reminisce about it this week. :) Rocky kept commenting on how sad/mad this year's team looked on camera

    What I've tried to do for scheduling my at-home days is to have specific tasks to accomplish on specific days (clean bathrooms Monday, sweep floors Tuesday, etc.) and plan on a load of laundry and dishes every day. Then I'd try and do those things first thing in the morning, and take a nap in the afternoon when Abby did. :) If I don't have a to-do list, I play online all day too and get mad at myself for it... And if I don't accomplish things in the morning I'd get too tired by the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so over the whole Chick Fil A thing. I think your #3 point and the line you quoted were right on the money.

    Wow, so exciting that you finally get to be a SAHM!! And congrats to Justin for getting a cushy job! Haha :) I hope these are good developments for your family!

    Have a great time at your sister's wedding! My sister-in-law is getting married September 2, so I'm excited too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment