Lucy Update

I haven't done a Lucy update in ages, and I have a few things I want to record. She is 26 months now and I'm constantly amazed by how smart she is and the things she's learning every day. *Warning: this is going to be incredibly long!*

One thing I definitely want to record is her amazing memory. I did great in school because I have a mind like a steel trap. It's starting to look like she might have inherited that from me. Woohoo! She remembers everything. One day last week when it was 100* Justin put on the sleeveless shirt he usually wears to mow the lawn. Lucy immediately said, "mow lawn, Daddy?" Every night when I put her to bed, we talk about what we're going to do the next day. Like, "Tomorrow when you wake up we're going to Lyla's house or Grandma's house or the beach." Without fail, when she wakes up she says "Lyla's house? Grandma's house?" There are so many more examples. Those are just a couple off the top of my head.

I am not great about teaching her things, but that hasn't stopped her too much. :-) She knows all the basic colors, and she's getting the hang of letters. One thing she doesn't do that most kids her age do is sing the alphabet. She sings her own version of it, but not the classic version. :-) She kind of counts. Again, she knows her numbers 1-10, she just says them in her own order. She's clueless about most shapes. We've been working on that. She knows heart, star, and moon, but not circle, square, triangle, etc.

A few months ago, when I was worried about her not talking, everyone assured me "She will talk in her own time, and once she starts she won't stop!" You all were right. :-) She talks like crazy. We carry on conversations all day. She definitely has her own language, and I still do a fair amount of interpreting for other people, but I understand almost everything she says. I am continually amazed by the words and phrases she comes up with that I have no recollection of teaching her. (Yesterday she was mad at me and was shouting, "Don't touch me, Mommy!" More on her attitude to come . . .) That said, I love to hear her repeat things I know I say. When Lola is in her way, she says "Me-me [excuse me] Lola . . . me-me Lola . . . MOVE Lola!" Lol.

She is still an extremely picky eater. I feel like an utter failure as a mother most days when it comes to eating. She eats either 2 plain multi-grain waffles or 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter every morning. I give her fruit but she rarely eats it. And then her other meals consist of pizza, mac n' cheese, beef-a-roni, hot dogs (her absolute favorite - I told you: motherhood fail), peanut butter and jelly, or grilled cheese. She doesn't eat veggies unless I sneak them into stuff. And she's suddenly given up on fruit, too! She used to chow down almost any fruit I gave her, but now it is so hit or miss. Sometimes she'll eat raspberries, pears, peaches, or grapes. But sometimes she refuses them. One minor victory: she's been eating baby carrots dipped in ranch! For a while, she just nibbled the carrot like a rabbit, sucked off the ranch, then spit out the chewed pieces of carrot. But the past couple of nights, she actually swallowed them an everything! I've kind of given up hope and just let her eat crap food all the time. What's motherhood without a little guilt?

Speaking of food . . . she is still a major puker. I've finally come to the conclusion that she just has a super sensitive gag reflex. I've noticed that she pukes most often after eating pizza. But not every time, so I don't think she's allergic to it. I just think she loves pizza so much and eats it with such gusto that it ends up coming back up. It's really just if she eats too much or too fast. And if she starts coughing at all, she usually ends up puking. She just pukes once, then is fine. Gross and weird, but we're starting to catch onto her signs. The other day, she stopped what she was doing, grabbed and her belly and started to whine. Justin had a plate in his hands, so he immediately stuck it under her chin, and I grabbed a nearby receiving blanket. Between the two of us, we managed to catch it all! Haha.

And now for the attitude. She is not always the most pleasant child. Haha. She has this face we affectionately call the "Lucy scowl" and she uses it often.
I don't have a scowling pic, but here's a good example of her attitude! Lol
The weirdest thing is that she doesn't like people - even people she knows and loves from afar. For instance - my family. She has grown up with them, talks about them all the time when we're away from them, and they all spoil her like crazy. But anytime we see them, she hides behind me and refuses to smile or look at them or let anyone touch her. So ridiculous. Usually after about half an hour, she'll warm up and start to interact with them, but it's a long process. She's also exerting her "terrible twos" lately. She just cries all.the.time about the stupidest stuff. And once she starts, she doesn't stop. The other day she cried for a solid half an hour because she didn't want to wear the outfit I brought to work for her. I've started to put her in her bedroom when she acts like that. She'll make herself stop crying so I'll come get her, but then bursts into tears again as soon as she sees me. Sigh. Discipline is a learning process for both of us.

She is still scared of everything. We went to the parade in Sparta last Saturday, and she spent most of the time on my lap with her hands clapped over her ears visibly shaking because she was so terrified of the sirens and the trucks and the loud noises. She's terrified of dogs, she will run to me screaming if we're outside and a loud vehicle goes by, and her new fear is bugs. We had a fly infestation a couple weeks ago, and she acted like she was being eaten alive if one touched her, screaming "Bug get me! Bug get me!!" My poor, poor girl. I'm so sorry I passed on that gene.

One final thing: potty training. We've slowly been getting back on the potty training wagon. I've already noticed since the last time we tried that she doesn't have accidents as often. Apparently she can hold her pee longer. But she's also less willing to sit on the toilet. It must have lost some of its appeal. We're working on it. I am NOT having 2 kids in diapers!

Whew! That's about it. She is so amazing. Justin and I say all the time, "She is just the coolest kid ever." I can't imagine loving another baby as much as I love her. (I know, I know - love multiplies, not divides.) She is beautiful and hilarious and sweet and wonderful.

10,000 useless bonus points for anyone who read this whole thing!! :-)

Comments

  1. The terrible two's are a cakewalk compared to three...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds just like Abby. :) They do a lot of the same things, and don't do a lot of the same things! I won't go into details about them all -- just know that our girls are very similar!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment