The Saturday "7"

1. Lucy had her first field trip this week. We went to Klackle's - the local orchard that is the place to go. We've never been there before because it's expensive and we're cheap, but Lena and I each just had to pay $5 (the school paid for Lucy). All 3 of us got a bag of apples, a pumpkin, a donut, a cup of cider, and free reign [rein?] of the place. I think you usually have to pay individually for the rides and activities, but we could do anything. It was a tiny bit cold, but could've been so much worse, and the girls loved it. Their favorite part was definitely the carousel. Lena's too short to go on it by herself, so I had to go with her every time. Whew. Apparently when you turn 30, spinny rides start making you nauseous.

2. I finally bought Lucy a Halloween costume this week. Lena is still young enough that she doesn't care, so she will be wearing something from the dress-up closet. I did look online a little bit for Lena and was flabbergasted once again by the "sexy" costume obsession. I know I say it ever year, but seriously. Why must everything be made sexy?? I actually saw one on Pinterest called "sexy pizza costume." Lol. That seems like a bit of an oxymoron.
Other ridiculous ones I've seen that have less appropriate pictures - all for women: sexy Buzz Lightyear, sexy Donald Trump (??), sexy Mrs. Claus. How about sexy lobster? Lol. This one really makes me laugh:
I haven't decided what I'm going to be for our small group party yet. This is my third time being pregnant for Halloween and I'm running out of pregnancy-related ideas.

3. Speaking of holidays . . . are you getting excited for Christmas?? Now that my birthday is over, it's on to Christmas celebrations! We've been listening to Christmas music all week, I've started making Christmas lists for the girls, and even bought my first present today! It's the most wonderful time of the year!!

4. Today was "mom's day out" for me. I went to a Mary Kay party this morning and got all beautified. When I stopped home afterward, I asked Justin how I looked. He said, "Cute. You never wear make-up."  I said, "I'm glad you think so because I spent lots of money to replicate this look." Lol. I really just bought some foundation. It looked really nice this morning when I did the demo. We'll see if I can re-create it on my own every day.

I rushed home from the party, wrapped a present real quick, and then headed to a bridal shower for my cousin. I'm usually the queen of the games, but my mom got put in charge of games this time and delegated that responsibility to me, so I didn't get to play. I totally would've owned my game, too.

I can not for the life of me figure out how to make a word file into a picture, so I just took a picture with my phone. It was "Name that Literary Couple." You just have to match the women on the left to their literary counterparts on the right. Can you get them all?

5. My day of fun was somewhat dampened by the raging headache I've been battling for the past two days. Lena shared her cold with me, and anytime I get a cold, I immediately get a wretched sinus headache. Headaches during pregnancy are the worst because there's so little you can do about it. Tylenol doesn't touch it. I've tried coffee, sleep, food, water. Nothing. I feel like my brain is going to start oozing out my ears. Ow ow ow.

6. I've been going strong with my new devotional book (Walking with God in the Season of Motherhood), and really enjoying it. It's a couple pages a day, which is a great length for me. All the passages from the Bible are included in the book so I don't have to look it up myself (yes, that's how lazy I am). And it asks questions and has space for you to write down your answers. I don't always actually write them down, but a lot of times I do - and it's been super helpful for me to get more out of the scriptures. I have a bad habit of skimming through them and saying, "Yep. Read that before. What's next?" The questions make me slow down and really look at the text.

One thing I read this week struck me as very interesting and has somewhat changed the way I pray for my girls. The author shared a bunch of passages about how Paul prayed for the churches. (Ephesians 1:15-19, Ephesians 3:14-21, Philippians 1:3-11, Colossians 1:9-12). She had us go through and underline the verbs, to see specifically what Paul was praying for. It was amazing to me to see that he overwhelmingly prayed that the people's eyes would be opened, that they would be strengthened and have power . . . not necessarily to obey, but "to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge." (Eph. 3:18-19) He prayed that God would give the churches "the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better." (Eph. 1:17b)

It struck me, especially in light of that grace based parenting book I just read, that he didn't just pray for the churches to be obedient. He prayed, first of all that they would understand God's love and grace. Because when we understand his love and grace, we're inspired to obey. It changes us from the inside out. *light bulb moment!* My new prayer for my girls is, "Give me grace to show them grace that they would understand your grace." Lol. It's a good thing I can't confuse God. Sorry if I just confused you. But I really am loving the devotional book. Check it out.

No number 7 because my brain is trying to break out of my head and I don't have anything else fun and exciting to share. Check back tomorrow for the 19 week pregnancy update! Almost half-way!

Comments