1. Don't Go to College

Today begins my first venture into Write31Days. I was inspired by this website (via my friend Carrie) to choose a topic to write about for 31 straight days. Since I'm turning 31 during this challenge, I decided to share 31 life lessons I've learned in the past 31 years.

So here's my first bit of wisdom: Don't go to college!


I thought I'd jump right in with a controversial one. Of course, it comes with some caveats. What I really mean is:don't go to college if you don't have a strong career goal (that requires a college degree). Growing up, we're taught to do well in school so we can get into college. It's just the assumed next step.


How many teenagers truly know what they want to do for the rest of their lives? I sure didn't. But I went to college because I was smart, I got good grades, and that's just what you do. And my husband did the same thing. Unfortunately, we both chose to go to an expensive Christian college. We were kids who had no real concept of money, and just signed the student loan documents without a thought. Fast forward 13 years and we're still paying those student loans.


A few years ago we sold our house and moved in with my parents so we could focus on paying down our debt. We profited $30,000 off our house, put it all on our student loans, and are still paying them 3 years later. It might have been worth it if we were doctors or teachers or business professionals. But I'm a stay at home mom and Justin's job doesn't even require a degree. So. Not. Worth. It. And I'm not the only one who thinks so . . .

8 Reasons to Say No to College

Is College Worth It? Goldman Sachs Says Maybe Not

To see more from my Write31Days series, click the image below:

Comments