The "Saturday" 7

You are receiving a special advance edition of the Saturday 7 this week because I'm leaving for Ladies' Retreat tonight.

1. I have a confession to make: it bothers me that Lucy isn't competitive. She's an amazing reader, and whips through chapter books at home. But at school, they do AR books, where each book is assigned a level. She only does the minimum requirement and doesn't rush through the books to get to a higher level. She's happy just to coast along in the middle of the pack with the rest of her class. And at Awana, she can learn as many verses as she wants each week, but she only does one because that's all that's required. She couldn't care less about getting ahead or being the top of her class. Whose kid is she??!!

2. The weather finally turned very cold this week (temps in the 30s and 40s - which will feel balmy in a few months) and we played this game:


We heat our house with an outdoor wood burning system. It requires my dad to refill the furnace 3 times a day in order to keep our house warm, so he likes to put off starting it as long as possible. I don't blame him one bit, but it did get pretty chilly this week:


We have a fireplace to keep us from truly freezing, but it really only keeps the living room warm. And I'm terrible and making and maintaining fires. (I'd never survive in the wilderness.)

I think yesterday was the last straw for my dad when he came home home from work and saw me making dinner in the kitchen with the space heater blowing on me. Haha. He finally started up the wood burner and it has been blissfully warm in here ever since!! Thank you so much, Dad!!!

3. I read this article a few days ago about what stay-at-home moms do all day. This was my favorite part:
Feeding people. I serve up three meals a day so that people can cry, fall on the floor in convulsions, and agonize over which is better: my cooking—or—starving. Then they choose starving…because my food is just. that. bad.
I also loved this:
I don’t think my life is harder or that I’m some sort of martyr. I think that this is exactly what I chose to do—and sometimes it is hard, because that is the nature of things that matterJust like any great dream, it is worth the cost.
Things worth believing in are also worth fighting for. Sometimes that looks like hard work and sacrifice.
I worry that I complain too much about how hard being a mom is, when it's what I've wanted all my life. I love being a mom. I'm not a martyr. I know it's hard for everyone. But it's hard because "that is the nature of things that matter." Exactly.

4. I'm still chugging along with my Write 31 Days series. You can tell by my writing that I'm getting sick of it. Lol. Only a few more days. Important programming note, though. Because I'll be at Ladies' Retreat this weekend, I've pre-written and scheduled my next few entries to appear at 6 a.m. every morning. But I won't be able to share them on facebook. So if you're dying to read them, you're going to have to come back here and look them up yourself. ;-)

5. Raise your hand if you're ready for the election to be over!!


I am so sick of the politics and tirades and bashing and fear-mongering. No one needs a couple more weeks to make up their minds. Let's just vote and be done with it! I saw this on Pinterest this week and thought it was a good reminder:


And my pastor said something interesting recently. He said that God is not sitting up in heaven wringing his hands over our election. He's still in control. Jesus still reigns. This is just a tiny slice of history that is probably not going to be as big of a deal as everyone thinks. (Apocalypse in America! All because either Trump or Hillary is our next president!)

It also reminds me of one of my favorite songs. 



The last line says, "The kings of men shall shut their mouths in awe." Trump and Hillary might be powerful right now, but some day their mouths will shut in awe at the majesty and power of the true king. 

6. That's all I've got for today. Off to spend some time with Lena before abandoning her for the weekend. Here are a couple pictures from our week:

Movie night.
Christmas music!

Comments