23. Read to Your Kids

No one really needs me to tell them this. Everyone knows the benefits of reading to your kids are immense. But these are my life lessons - things that are important to me - and reading to my kids is one of them.

I grew up in a family of readers. My parents modeled it for me well. My dad brought us to the library every Saturday and we'd get stacks of books to read during the week. I read the entire children's historical fiction section of our library before I hit 6th grade. I'm pretty sure we kept that library in business with the fines we accrued, but it was a pivotal part of my childhood.

My parents read to us often. We went through the whole American Girl series (at least the 5 original girls). Their love of reading and their willingness to read to me ignited my passion for books. And it's something I hope to pass on to my kids.

Before I was even pregnant, I start collecting kids' books. It's become a bit of an obsession, and we don't even read 90% of what I've collected because we also frequent the library. But I love having options available. (And I only buy cheap, second-hand books!) I want my kids to grow up surrounded by books and loving them.

Both of my girls went through a phase where they didn't want to sit still long enough to read with me, but they quickly outgrew it and would both spend hours reading with me now if my voice could handle it. Lucy is a reading fanatic and I often have to tell her, "Don't read too much longer. You need to get to sleep." (But I secretly love that she's doing it!)

I've been more lax with reading to Levi - because he's my third and I'm busy . . . and lazy. But he enjoys looking at the pictures and trying to eat the books. I need to be better about making time to read to him. Because even though he's only 8 months old, this is so true:


And this:

To see more from my Write 31 Days series, click the image below:

Comments