Saturday, October 8, 2016

8. No One is Thinking About You as Much as You Think They Are

This might be another one that only applies to the select few of us who are socially awkward.


I am one of those people who leaves every social interaction wondering, "Did I sound like an idiot? Should I have said that? Did everyone think I was weird?"


I frequently lie in bed at night rehashing things I said and thinking of what I should have said instead.



I tell myself in most social situations, "Just keep your mouth shut."


And then I regret saying the things I do say.

But here's the thing: no one else cares. No one else leaves Monday night Bible Study thinking, "Wow. Why did Sadie say that?" The cashier at the grocery store doesn't think, "That chick is such a dope for stumbling over her words." My friends don't think, "Sadie is so weird. I wish she would just keep her mouth shut."

1. People are too busy with other things to worry about me. 
2. People are too busy worrying about their own hang-ups to think about mine.

I never leave social situations thinking about the weird things someone else said or did - only my own. So I'm learning just to embrace the awkwardness and try not to dwell on it.


Although I would really like a shirt with this phrase emblazoned on the front:



To see more from my Write31Days series, click the image below:


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love the one that says "My life is just a series of awkward and humiliating moments separated by snacks." Haha!

    Social anxiety is real!!! I'm SO there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true for me too! Wait...maybe I shouldn't have said that....

    ReplyDelete

Pin It