8. No One is Thinking About You as Much as You Think They Are

This might be another one that only applies to the select few of us who are socially awkward.


I am one of those people who leaves every social interaction wondering, "Did I sound like an idiot? Should I have said that? Did everyone think I was weird?"


I frequently lie in bed at night rehashing things I said and thinking of what I should have said instead.



I tell myself in most social situations, "Just keep your mouth shut."


And then I regret saying the things I do say.

But here's the thing: no one else cares. No one else leaves Monday night Bible Study thinking, "Wow. Why did Sadie say that?" The cashier at the grocery store doesn't think, "That chick is such a dope for stumbling over her words." My friends don't think, "Sadie is so weird. I wish she would just keep her mouth shut."

1. People are too busy with other things to worry about me. 
2. People are too busy worrying about their own hang-ups to think about mine.

I never leave social situations thinking about the weird things someone else said or did - only my own. So I'm learning just to embrace the awkwardness and try not to dwell on it.


Although I would really like a shirt with this phrase emblazoned on the front:



To see more from my Write31Days series, click the image below:


Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, I love the one that says "My life is just a series of awkward and humiliating moments separated by snacks." Haha!

    Social anxiety is real!!! I'm SO there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true for me too! Wait...maybe I shouldn't have said that....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment